Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Views On Mild Power Adders

Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edwin907
My experience is that no way you are going to get 49HP from those bolt on mods, 20 is probably more like it, but wonderful driveability with the Flashpaq, at least as important as the HP if not more, a lot more.
I agree, there isn't anyway that those numbers would stand up. They also miss the important portion of what enhances the driving experience with low rpm torque. Everyone wants to tout there peak gains and often use dyno results which don't tell the whole story. From what I've seen on this forum alone, stock dyno runs at the rear wheel vary by 30hp or more. This furthers my positions that dynos are a useful tuning tool, but the different dynos produce different results as do the different conditions at the time of the test.

Originally Posted by edwin907
From another forum (I think) a guy e-mailed me and said he wanted to know if I had run a throttle body spacer.
I told him I had not and the research I did said no one ever thought it helped much.
Well he told me he was experimenting with running TWO of them and so far the results were very encouraging particularly at highway cruise. His 6-speed Unlimited Rubicon is on 35" KM2s with a Gibson SS dual exhaust, Superchips Flashpaq and a K&N short ram.

Could there possibly be anything to this? And not knowing anything about the TBS what would be required to run 2 of them?
On a port injected motor a throttle body spacer is going to have minimal performance increases. They don't increase fuel atomization as they would on a TB injected motor leaving their biggest benefit to be had at very low rpm, when the throttle blade is barely open. What this brings is more air movement through the manifold at low rpm but any benefit is quickly displaced as the need for air increases and the throttle blade is open further. In the end, what you get from a throttle body is some better low end throttle response, but after 1500 rpm game over.

I do have a TBS for my JK as it was part of a promotion when I bought my CAI at a Summit Racing event, Truckfest I believe. I've had it on and off 3 or 4 times and the only difference I can tell is that the throttle becomes a little touchy on roll out. Once you're rolling and going through the gears nothing that I can make note of. I guess if someone wanted to do a test with and without it, the best way to do it would be to record the manifold pressure and throttle position at cruise speeds.

Quick Reply: Views On Mild Power Adders