Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibration starts around 2500 RPM usually in 5th gear

Old 09-15-2016, 01:31 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

So wondering if my joint is shot considering how hot the drive shaft feels after driving only ten miles from work to home. That little bit of grease that appears splattered from the aft joint of the front drive shaft is my only indication but pushing it I don't have any movement of this joint. Is it normal for drive shaft to build up heat? I was attributing it to the exhaust/engine vicinity but now wondering if this is normal. I just spent a lot of $$ with all new tires, gears, and rear locker...didn't want to have to add another $500 but maybe a new front drive shaft is next upgrade. I have an appointment tomorrow to ensure it is not gear install related, after that i will probably focus on the D/S.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hornetman
So wondering if my joint is shot considering how hot the drive shaft feels after driving only ten miles from work to home. That little bit of grease that appears splattered from the aft joint of the front drive shaft is my only indication but pushing it I don't have any movement of this joint. Is it normal for drive shaft to build up heat? I was attributing it to the exhaust/engine vicinity but now wondering if this is normal. I just spent a lot of $$ with all new tires, gears, and rear locker...didn't want to have to add another $500 but maybe a new front drive shaft is next upgrade. I have an appointment tomorrow to ensure it is not gear install related, after that i will probably focus on the D/S.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/d...acement-cv-kit That's it. $150 and you're good to go. Take it off, drive, if it feel better, order this, install it, and good to go. Simple.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/d...acement-cv-kit That's it. $150 and you're good to go. Take it off, drive, if it feel better, order this, install it, and good to go. Simple.
Yep or ive also read JE Reel will use the TF Rzeppa with a driveshaft on request for $450. Thats a banging deal for a better DS that can handle the angle.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hornetman
They will build up heat and all the stuff around it heats it up too, new gear install will cause heat at the pinion bearing/housing. When checking for play, make sure there is no load on the shaft. Block the tires and put the rigs tranny and t-case in neutral. You may have already done that, but just throwing it out there. Also it is pretty easy to remove the front shaft and take a short drive. If it goes away then you know for sure its the shaft or bearings that it is connected to. (sorry just saw everyone said that already)
Old 09-15-2016, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Thanks for all the replies and advice! I have a 5 year 60K warrantee with gear install and would rather have 4Wheel Parts tell me it not the gears as I only have a little over 200 miles on the break in period. I'm strongly thinking it's the drive shaft, feels like it's right under my feet when driving. It definitely has been more noticeable after the gear change and adding the 35's. Surprised that nothing was said prior/post install.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

So got jeep back, they inspected gears and said everything is good. Maybe I'm just a little anal but I still think my front stock driveshaft could be causing my issue. Going to drive it a while and if it gets worse will be buying myself a early Christmas present.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? All you have to do is take off like 12 bolts to remove the driveshaft. It takes maybe 10 minutes. I guess you're the kinda person that would rather spend hours talking about a problem rather than to just solve the problem.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I still vote pull the shaft and drive it. I've got a spare front shaft you can install to see if the vibe changes. A vibe can eventually grenade your tcase.

Quick Reply: Vibration starts around 2500 RPM usually in 5th gear