Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibration with increase weight in jeep

Old 08-06-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration with increase weight in jeep

When Im carrying camping gear or am weighted down for any other reason, I develop a steering wheel vibration at exactly 55mph. When I have no cargo, it is as smooth as glass. Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is change in contact pattern with tires, or maybe an alteration in the balance when weighted down.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a light steering wheel vibration as well at exactly 46 mph. I already fixed DW with adj track bar, LCA's etc. I dunno??
Old 08-06-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Generally, speed-specific vibrations and/or shakes are a tire balance issue. When is the last time you rotated or balanced your tires?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
Generally, speed-specific vibrations and/or shakes are a tire balance issue. When is the last time you rotated or balanced your tires?
That's what I kinda figured. I'm rotating my tires today. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanc
When Im carrying camping gear or am weighted down for any other reason, I develop a steering wheel vibration at exactly 55mph. When I have no cargo, it is as smooth as glass. Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is change in contact pattern with tires, or maybe an alteration in the balance when weighted down.
At 55 your tires are turning about 550 RPM and the drive shafts are turning a little less than the engine RPM. Should not be too hard to figure out what's vibrating. Could be with a load on you get a drive shaft angle that will vibrate. Tires should act the same way loaded or unloaded, but "should" never means "will for sure"
Old 08-06-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I run without a front driveshaft. It feels like a buZzing feeling in the steering wheel. Nothing shakes.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

what do you have your rear drive shaft angle set to? could be it's off but not enough to notice at a normal ride height but weighed down, it changes enough to start vibrating.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
Rotated my tires today, all good nowthanks again
Old 08-06-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
what do you have your rear drive shaft angle set to? could be it's off but not enough to notice at a normal ride height but weighed down, it changes enough to start vibrating.
Dead set zero, with maybe 0.2-.3 degrees with the pinion down. I really cant get my pinion down any further, my rear uppers are as short as they can go. Should I maybe add like 1/2 inch spacer front and rear to get the pinion down a little bit more? Or go with a progressive coil?

Last edited by Ryanc; 08-06-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dead set zero, with maybe 0.2-.3 degrees with the pinion down. I really cant get my pinion down any further, my rear uppers are as short as they can go. Should I maybe add like 1/2 inch spacer front and rear to get the pinion down a little bit more? Or go with a progressive coil?
have you run your jeep with front shaft only to make sure the vibrations are coming from the rear shaft? if not, i would start there before spending any money.

Quick Reply: Vibration with increase weight in jeep