Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibration/Death Wobble issues with BF Goodrich AT and MT on new JKU's???

Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration/Death Wobble issues with BF Goodrich AT and MT on new JKU's???

First off, I have owned BF Goodrich AT KO's on multiple vehicles and loved them on every one! I just recently bought a 2012 JKU Sport and have been trying to determine what lift/tire combo I want as it will be my daily driver, and primarily a pavement pounder. I think I have settled on a 2" coil leveling kit to get the look I want, and go with a 285/70/17 on stock rims. Now...I called a suspension company just to confirm those tires would fit without rubbing issues or the need for spacers. While this representative said yes, those tires are perfect for that leveling kit/lift, he also warned me that most people that run BF Goodrich tires on JKU's experience bad vibration and death wobble. This was a complete first for me as I've never read that or heard it. I asked him why would Jeep offer that tire as a standard option on their Rubicon's if that was the case, and he said it's anything 32 or bigger.

I'm hoping that I just happened to get someone who wasn't a fan of BFG, but wanted to reach out to the forum to ask for any further input or feedback? The sooner I know, the sooner I can get my lift and tires going!

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

285/70/17 will rub the sway bars on full turn on stock rims. No matter how great his companies lift is, it isnt going to change the backspace on your stock wheels. It also isn't going to move the swaybar out of the way of the tires.. That said, I ran 285/75/16's on a stock JK for 5 years almost 60k miles with no issues, except minor rubbing of the sway. I also suspect he doesn't know what deathwobble is...

Last edited by OverlandJKU; 12-13-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yay ! A fellow BFG lover !!! hello friend !
I am also a 90% road driver ! I don't think you can beat the K/o s for that ! Good luck !
Old 12-13-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OverlandJKU
285/70/17 will rub the sway bars on full turn on stock rims. No matter how great his companies lift is, it isnt going to change the backspace on your stock wheels. It also isn't going to move the swaybar out of the way of the tires.. That said, I ran 285/75/16's on a stock JK for 5 years almost 60k miles with no issues, except minor rubbing of the sway. I also suspect he doesn't know what deathwobble is...
Thanks for the reply and info. It seems like everyone has a different type of feedback on the rubbing of those tires with that kit. My Jeep guy here in town said it would be fine, no rubbing...the lift guy said the same. You're saying it will rub the sway bars. Gotta love Jeeps!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a 4" lift with BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's in 315/70R17 on aftermarket wheels and have NEVER had any vibration or death wobble problems whatsoever. This is my third set of KO's on three different vehicles and I've never been anything but 100% happy with them.

I don't think the lift is the issue with the rubbing on the sway bars, rather the wider tires on the stock wheels, which have insufficient backspacing to clear the suspension. You could experience some rubbing on the underside of the fender flares too with suspension flex (i.e. stuffing of the tires up into to flares). That is where more lift helps.

Good luck.

Last edited by Hook-Em; 12-13-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running 315/70/R17"s KO's on my Rubi with no problems. I'm actually really impressed with how evenly the tires are wearing. No cupping issues. I will either stick with these tires when they wear out or go with the Pro Comp X-Treme All-Terrains. They also wear outstanding and I like the squared look.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

I'm running same tires as guys above with no issues period.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

315 70 17/ No issues at all.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

The true death wobble is not tire related at all. Track bar issues cause the DW.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad to see all these BFG KO lovers ! For a DD with minimal offroad & still decent aggressive look . I really don't know of a better option ! I have them on my 3500 Silverado ! It weighs nearly 5 ton ! & these have worn great & evenly ! Only tire this far to do so

Quick Reply: Vibration/Death Wobble issues with BF Goodrich AT and MT on new JKU's???