Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibration after River Raider skid install

Old 06-16-2012, 02:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after River Raider skid install

Just installed the river raider oil pan and trans skid plates from River Raider. I now noticed that I am getting a vibration when in drive. I'm assuming it is because the skid is connected from the motor mounts to the trans cross brace.

Anyone else have this issue? Or a fix for it?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I recall someone saying this is an issue where the oil skid connects to the trans one and they put a type of spacer there to minimize it. No personal experience with this so... Free bump to you for someone that knows more
Old 06-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like The rr skid is makeing contact with the enginge trans or exhaust. On that sytem nothing can be touching , when looking remember the motor moves and twist under loads so you need lots of room..
Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ill have some one put it under a bit of load and see if there is any parts of it touching the engine. Maybe I can re-adjust it. Hoping to eliminate the rattle as its starting to get to me.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have established that it is the exhaust hitting the skid. How many other people have had this issue? I'm a bit upset that after buying this kit and having it powder coated, I'm now dealing with this rattle. I can't see my Jeeps exhaust being different than most others who have this. I'm curious to see what others have done. RIver Raider said it was an issue with only 2011 and attributed it to poor build quality on the 11 as Jeep prepared for 12. I can't see that... But I sure can hear this rattle.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

the rock hard skid has the same issue. they supply a spacer bar with it but I have also added some large washers to get even more clearance... BUT I still get some vibrations...
Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

i put 4 washers to bring trans skid down from the exfaust pipe and i do have some vibration woth rubber bushing where oil pan and trans skid connected.
suks. call kenny 1 week ago he told me have to loose that bolt but norhing happen with loosing.
suks
Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got some on my JCR engine skid for the first week...I attributed it to the exhaust hitting the skid slightly and I assume it settled/bent up a bit after being wheeled because the noise is gone....I was initially worried about the DS but that wasn't the case.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Stillmotion
I have established that it is the exhaust hitting the skid. How many other people have had this issue? I'm a bit upset that after buying this kit and having it powder coated, I'm now dealing with this rattle. I can't see my Jeeps exhaust being different than most others who have this. I'm curious to see what others have done. RIver Raider said it was an issue with only 2011 and attributed it to poor build quality on the 11 as Jeep prepared for 12. I can't see that... But I sure can hear this rattle.
I have the complete skid system. Before I had my exhaust rerouted, I didn't have any vibrations. After the exhaust rerouted, the backside of the transfer case skid (where the metal runs vertically) was going to hit so I notched out that section. Just enough for it to clear. You are not running the stock TC skid atop the RR one, are you? I am running the stock gas tank one atop as I didn't want to drop the gas tank. Did you install the spacer that goes between the bolt head and the motor mount? I didn't see a need and just torqued the bolt down. Mine is a 2012 BTW.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Same issue...space it out with some washers between the crossmember & skid and call it done. Should work fine...did on mine.

Quick Reply: Vibration after River Raider skid install