Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibration after installing front LCAs

Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcharge74
Just take your time with these things. Be very precise with the measurements and doublecheck it before you torque everything down. I tried to rush through the install the first time and ended up in the same boat that you're in right now. If you relax and do it the right way, it will end up easier in the long run.
haha won't disagree with you there. i started the control arm install last weekend, and realized after I had finished installing the rears that I had them in upside down (the grease zerks facing down, waiting to get destroyed on a rock). Took me another hour or 2 to fix it because I tried to shortcut putting one of them back in, and it just wound up taking longer.

speaking of the zerks, does anyone else with the teraflex arms notice they have to have the drivers side front LCA zerk facing the ground? can't get the thing to sit in the mount otherwise. the previous owner had replaced the zerk with a cap, and i couldnt figure out why till today

Last edited by sneck; 12-03-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....and do yourself a favor and go out and find a magnetic angle finder. I don't know if you can get them at Lowes or Home Depot. I got mine a Grainger, but they aren't open until Monday. You may have to wait, as this is a necessary tool to do the job correctly. You will be looking to have around 5 degrees of caster. The angle finder is not expensive, maybe $10-$15. It looks like this:

http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=28641

This picture also shows how you would take the measurement. Just attach it to the flat part on the bottom of your "C".
Old 12-03-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sneck
haha won't disagree with you there. i started the control arm install last weekend, and realized after I had finished installing the rears that I had them in upside down (the grease zerks facing down, waiting to get destroyed on a rock). Took me another hour or 2 to fix it because I tried to shortcut putting one of them back in, and it just wound up taking longer.

speaking of the zerks, does anyone else with the teraflex arms notice they have to have the drivers side front LCA zerk facing the ground? can't get the think to sit in the mount otherwise. the previous owner had replaced the zerk with a cap, and i couldnt figure out why till today
Yup, both of my front zerks are facing the ground. It only took one wheeling trip to figure out that I needed to remove them after greasing and put in allen plugs.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah so I wound up shortening them to 23 and 23 and 1/8. it takes 2 full turns to go that 1/8" on the teraflex arms. I wound up measuring from edge to edge of the bolt holes. Took it for a test spin, vibration is gone. Very cool. Now to work on the track bars. I'll edit the first post too, but an addition question.

I put in the teraflex rear track bar bracket. the track bar looks nice sitting at the upper most hole (its the 2-6" bracket with 3 holes). However, now my drivers side rear tire is sticking way out past the fender. I still have the stock track bar on; am I going to find that when I put my adjustable track bar on I'm going to be shortening it? Is that normal?

Also, how the hell do I tighten that track bar bolt. there is no room to get a torque wrench in that without hitting the shock. I'm going to take the shocks out to tighten them, but just wanted to see if this is normal

Quick Reply: Vibration after installing front LCAs