Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibration after installing front LCAs

Old 12-03-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sneck
well then I know what I'm doing first thing tomorrow! anyone know offhand how many turns 1/8" is for the teraflex control arms? i'd like to just get one dialed in then count the threads
pretty sure its about 1 full turn, I haven't done it in a while though.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so just to make sure i'm not crazy, when you say eye to eye, if I take a measuring tape, is that measuring from inside edge of the one bolt hole to the inside edge of the other bolt hole?
Actually it is measured from the center of each bolt hole (eye to eye). Make sure the flex joint is centered before you measure.

Last edited by Jeep(NV); 12-03-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bosox5

pretty sure its about 1 full turn, I haven't done it in a while though.
For my teraflex control arms it is one full turn.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeep(NV)
Actually it is measured from the center of each bolt hole (eye to eye). Make sure the flex joint is centered before you measure.
so with the flexjoint centered, i should measure 23" from center of each hole? because inside of the hole and outside will yeil 2 very different measurements
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a vibration when I replaced control arms too, an alignment took care of it
Old 12-03-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

so with the flexjoint centered, i should measure 23" from center of each hole? because inside of the hole and outside will yeil 2 very different measurements
Yes correct, center of the hole. If you measure your stock control arms they will measure 22 5/8 eye to eye (center of each whole) and that is the exact measurement that teraflex gives for the factory control arm length.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 2.5 coil lift on my two door and I set mine at 23 passenger and 22 7/8 driver. The extra 1/8 makes it drive straight to compensate for the crown of the road.

Also I tried 23 1/4 first but that gave me a vibration, I found the above measurements to be the sweet spot for my rig.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Read the blurb on Caster in the faq's (top of this modified area)
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ery-Newbie-Has

Read the section on Setting Your Caster in the DIY Alignment write-up. (write-ups area, there is an index at the top)
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
-Note that the numbers from an angle finder do NOT equal the numbers on an alignment rack. They are just an easy way to get you in the ballpaark.

Realize that setting the control arm lengths to a certain 'measurement' will give YOU a specific caster angle. Use that same measurement on someone elses JK, and guess what? Different caster angles! Why? Because more than likely, they have a different setup, giving them a different 'actual' lift height. So, go on the assumption that a measurement is a starting point. Not a one-size-fits-all setting that will work for everyone.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SB2008
I had a vibration when I replaced control arms too, an alignment took care of it
Like what, down to a pep boys or to an offroad shop? I might go the lazy route so I can install my trackbar and steering stabilizer tomorrow.

and to the poster above me, yeah I know everyone is going to go with a custom setup, I just wanted to get pointed in the right direction. I think the 2 biggest issues I had were a) not knowing where to measure so I didn't have any type of ball park and b) not being very precise with the measurements. Hopefully tomorrow i'll have it all fixed up
Old 12-03-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like what, down to a pep boys or to an offroad shop? I might go the lazy route so I can install my trackbar and steering stabilizer tomorrow.

and to the poster above me, yeah I know everyone is going to go with a custom setup, I just wanted to get pointed in the right direction. I think the 2 biggest issues I had were a) not knowing where to measure so I didn't have any type of ball park and b) not being very precise with the measurements. Hopefully tomorrow i'll have it all fixed up
Just take your time with these things. Be very precise with the measurements and doublecheck it before you torque everything down. I tried to rush through the install the first time and ended up in the same boat that you're in right now. If you relax and do it the right way, it will end up easier in the long run.

Quick Reply: Vibration after installing front LCAs