Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibration after installing front LCAs

Old 12-03-2011, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after installing front LCAs

So I installed some front LCA's (the teraflex flexarms) and I think I set them correctly, but when I drive, at 10mph, I get a fairly strong vibration from the jeep. as soon as I go faster or slower it disappears, but it happens whether im turning or driving straight, or whether i'm in gear or not. my only thought is I may have set the length wrong, since I didn't know what reference point to use for the overall length. I believe my passenger side is from center of the bolt to center of the bolt about 24.5", and my drivers side is a bit shorterish. I was having trouble measuring them so I was less then exact.

Thoughts? I'm assuming if I adjust the lengths it should fix things, but I don't know if the vibration might be something else. I also took the jeep on the highway, it felt fine, didn't seem to be pulling one way or the other.

another question
I put in the teraflex rear track bar bracket. the track bar looks nice sitting at the upper most hole (its the 2-6" bracket with 3 holes). However, now my drivers side rear tire is sticking way out past the fender. I still have the stock track bar on; am I going to find that when I put my adjustable track bar on I'm going to be shortening it? Is that normal?

Also, how the hell do I tighten that track bar bolt. there is no room to get a torque wrench in that without hitting the shock. I'm going to take the shocks out to tighten them, but just wanted to see if this is normal

Last edited by sneck; 12-04-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you may have them set too long. Did you use an angle finder to check the pinion angle? If I remember correctly, mine are set around 23 1/8", and I have a 2.5" lift. That measurement gave me slightly over 5 degrees.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

i honestly don't quite have my head wrapped around the whole pinion angle thing yet, so I don't know. when you say 23 and 1/8 though, what is that measuring?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

also, as part of my weekend project I'm installing some track bars I had picked up off the forum, however they're the older teraflex monster models. I finally figured out which is the front and which is the rear, but on the rear its the type with the metal end instead of the tie rod type adjuster. does anyone know which end attaches to the axle and which to the frame? I'm assuming it'll be like the flex arms and be metal on the axle, but want to double check
Old 12-03-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sneck
i honestly don't quite have my head wrapped around the whole pinion angle thing yet, so I don't know. when you say 23 and 1/8 though, what is that measuring?
its 23 1/8 inches from eye to eye on the arms for length. Too much caster could cause vibes if you have aftermarket shafts, if your stock you shouldnt be having that problem. set your arms to 23'' eye to eye and go from there.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bosox5
its 23 1/8 inches from eye to eye on the arms for length. Too much caster could cause vibes if you have aftermarket shafts, if your stock you shouldnt be having that problem. set your arms to 23'' eye to eye and go from there.
so just to make sure i'm not crazy, when you say eye to eye, if I take a measuring tape, is that measuring from inside edge of the one bolt hole to the inside edge of the other bolt hole?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

those are set WAY too long try setting them 23" eye to eye for a starting point. And make sure they are even (count the threads if you're not sure about measuring).
Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sneck
so just to make sure i'm not crazy, when you say eye to eye, if I take a measuring tape, is that measuring from inside edge of the one bolt hole to the inside edge of the other bolt hole?
yes, that is correct.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

Nevermind beat me to it.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

well then I know what I'm doing first thing tomorrow! anyone know offhand how many turns 1/8" is for the teraflex control arms? i'd like to just get one dialed in then count the threads

Quick Reply: Vibration after installing front LCAs