Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibration after Drive Shaft Install

Old 04-30-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after Drive Shaft Install

I have a 2-door '09 JK and I recently replaced the rear-drive shaft with a Tom Woods Double Cardan 1310. I have a 4 inch SkyJacker lift, 35's and Manual Tran. I have a deep vibration now when I drive. I had to replace the stock DS due to the grease being slung out of it and making quite a rattle. I have attempted to research this problem and seems I may need adjustable control arms. If this is indeed my only solution which arms need to be adjustable and wheres the best price on this? I wonder if this is truly my case or is there something else I can do that will solve my problem.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same size of lift. You will need adjustable control arms. There are kinds of arms out there so I really don't want to get into which arms to get. With my lift I change both the upper and lower arms and went with the Terra Flex measurements that they have online. Your Tom Woods driveshaft came with instructions on setting your pinion angle and that's why your having vibrations. Becarefull driving it around with vibrations cause it is known that this can destroy a transfercase. I just got some Currie rear control arms and they have a lifetime warrenty if bent and are replace with no conditions. Good luck with your problem and I hope this helps you out.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At a minimum you need upper rear adj control arms to set your pinion angle so that it points straight at the upper yolk.
from FAQ.......

Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to replace the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts will be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the transmission and/or skid plate. Failure to do this will result in the tearing of the factory drive shaft boot as it makes contact with the transmission. Manual transmissions will not have this problem and keeping the factory front drive shaft will not be a problem.

Last edited by mkjeep; 04-30-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration after Drive Shaft Install