Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibration after drag link swap

Old 01-22-2016, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after drag link swap

1 month ago I had a bad drag link and I created the horrifying death wobble 😥
I replaced the drag link for a moog one ( inner and outer drag link ) everything was fine till few days ago, I developed DW again 😪 in conclusion i had a defective DL so I warrantee the DL

The DW is gone but now I have a light to minor vibration...... I have no idea what can the problem is, maybe I need a alignment? Please help
Old 01-23-2016, 03:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do,your ball joints look? Tires might need to be re balanced. I don't think it's your alignment. Are you tires wearing uneven?
Old 01-23-2016, 04:50 AM
JK Junkie

Stock ? Did you look at it, are the bolts on the pinch bolt tight? How about orientation, is the bar and joints centered ?

The DL itself WONT cause DW but can contribute to it if something else is bad. Put a torque wrench on the 2 track bar bolts and make sure those suckers are at 125 ft lbs. also check the ball joints like mentioned.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Stock ? Did you look at it, are the bolts on the pinch bolt tight? How about orientation, is the bar and joints centered ? The DL itself WONT cause DW but can contribute to it if something else is bad. Put a torque wrench on the 2 track bar bolts and make sure those suckers are at 125 ft lbs. also check the ball joints like mentioned.
Originally Posted by fultonromero12
How do,your ball joints look? Tires might need to be re balanced. I don't think it's your alignment. Are you tires wearing uneven?
No more DW but like I saw I have this lite vibration, I was thinking alignment because I mess with the steering by I have no idea.

Ya everything looks perfect torque everything to spect nothing good ball joints etc
Old 01-23-2016, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any one else?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been changing down a similar problem. Constant shimmy in the steering wheel. Would be about 40mph at the worst and would continue at any other speed but not quite as prevalent. I changed the tie rod, drag link, had an alignment, tires balanced 3 times, ball joints were changed this summer and are tight, new passenger wheel bearing and had a new driver bearing in October but just changed it again last week due to being shot again. The shimmy is still there around 45 but not near as bad. My steering wheel is very tight yet is almost touchy if that makes sense. I pulled my intermediate shaft off to check it and the slip joint is seized so I'm chalking it up to either that or my control arm bushings. Good luck finding the cause!.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Tires
Old 01-23-2016, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Tires
Had same thing. Tires

Sent from my Carl Gustav
Old 01-24-2016, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will get a alignment and balance the tires tomorrow thanks
Old 01-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Did you happen to check if your tie rod is tight? If I remember right, you have to drop at least the passenger side tie rod to get the drag link out. Perhaps it's not torqued to spec?

Quick Reply: Vibration after drag link swap