Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibe issue (not tires or front DS)

Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Topkicker1
Any news? Did it fix your issue???
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a wheel bearing issue all day long. Check em for play. I'd bet money a wheel bearing fixes it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Picked up my JK from Gleenbrook Jeep today. It was a front left wheel bearing. I could find no play and wasen't buying it. The techniction, Bob is a 14yr employee there and an oldschool off-roader. He owns an old CJ7. He said he has seen this before and was sure this was the culprit of the vibe. My hat's off to Bob. He nailed it. No more annoying vibe. Issue is solved!

Edit: BTW. Lifetime warranty comes through again. Win win.

Last edited by Topkicker1; 11-15-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Topkicker1
Picked up my JK from Gleenbrook Jeep today. It was a front left wheel bearing. I could find no play and wasen't buying it. The techniction, Bob is a 14yr employee there and an oldschool off-roader. He owns an old CJ7. He said he has seen this before and was sure this was the culprit of the vibe. My hat's off to Bob. He nailed it. No more annoying vibe. Issue is solved!

Edit: BTW. Lifetime warranty comes through again. Win win.
Was the sound more like a low bass note with the vibe? It would do it every few seconds....
Maybe I have a bad bearing right from the factory....
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stonewhite
Was the sound more like a low bass note with the vibe? It would do it every few seconds....
Maybe I have a bad bearing right from the factory....
At hwy speed (65ish),it would come in intervals.....Wammmm.............Wammmm.
It would become noticable around 40mph and would be felt in the steering wheel, floor pan, and gas pedal. Try shifting your JK into neutral when you notice it. If the vibe note is still there in N, it could very well be a bad bearing out of the box. I have worked in 4 GM assembly plants in the last 14 years and know the build process inside and out. When building in such large volume with so many vendors supplying different parts on a "just in time" basis, getting the numbers sometimes takes priority over quality.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

wonder if the bearings are all the same from 07' up? Maybe get an aftermarket ones.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM
JK Freak

Called my dealer and wanted to make an appointment to bring it in.....they said all JK's do that and they don't want to make an appointment. Great Place....YEAH RIGHT!!!
They mentioned that you can't have a quiet ride with those mud tires and some other nonsense.
Anyway I think I will take a look at my front bearings myself. Is there any DIY posts on changing the front wheel bearings? I've done them on my old vehicles a few years back...pretty self explanatory, but just want to make sure on these new JKs.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stonewhite
Called my dealer and wanted to make an appointment to bring it in.....they said all JK's do that and they don't want to make an appointment. Great Place....YEAH RIGHT!!!
They mentioned that you can't have a quiet ride with those mud tires and some other nonsense.
Anyway I think I will take a look at my front bearings myself. Is there any DIY posts on changing the front wheel bearings? I've done them on my old vehicles a few years back...pretty self explanatory, but just want to make sure on these new JKs.
I do believe your dealer is suffering from a cranial-rectal inversion!
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

I actually was at the dealership today and test drove a 2013 Rubicon with a 6 speed. It was built near my build date by a few days. It has the same vibrations at exactly the same speeds mine has! This one only had 12 miles on the odometer. Well I know it has nothing to do with the transmission...
Think I'm gonna find a new dealership to have service work checked out....it's just that they are far and few between and most of them are terrible!

Quick Reply: Vibe issue (not tires or front DS)