Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Viair question

Old 07-06-2013, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Viair question

Excuse my ignorance but I have no questions on adding a simple onboard air setup. I want to mount a Viair compressor for the sole purpose of airing up my tires after a trail ride. I want to mount the compressor and run a hose with airchuck to the front bumper. Would there be anything else I need? Is it just a matter of wiring the compressor with an on/off switch (with the appropriate relay and fuse)?

I've noticed the systems that use a tank also have a pressure switch which kicks the compressor on when the tank is below a certain psi...without a tank and this switch what does the compressor do when you turn it on...just run and run or will it still shut off on its own?

Again, as you can see from the questions, I'm no compressor or wiring expert, just trying to piece together a simple and reliable system and do it right.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple answer, yes. If you wire it with a switch as you stated it will run until you turn the switch off. Viair's site has a wiring diagram to do exactly that. That being said, the chuck you would mount at the bumper can not be the normal type you use at home that seals with nothing connected or the compressor will run and continue to build pressure until something blows. The hose kit they sell works well.
I do not run a tank but I pieced together parts to have mine run until it pressurizes then shuts off. I got a distribution block, pressure switch, pop off, gauge etc and ran ran lines to where I permanently mounted the couplers. I found everything I needed by looking around the web. There are some good diagrams on viair's site. Try jeepswag (vendor here).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1721020520.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	475465
Old 07-06-2013, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

You did a nice job!

I'm a fan of the ARB unit. Just the single works for tired. If you turn it on, it runs until full then shuts off. It's on my short list.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Running a Viair 400h, wired thru a relay to a switch on the dash, Dominion Offroad bracket, and bumper mounted air coupler. It's a kit from Jeepswag that he was running as a members special on in the vendors forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-705876997.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	475479   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2006667027.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	475480   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-707277755.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	475482   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3375584739.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	475483  

Last edited by slider_68; 07-06-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the responses. With your help and a little more research, I understand the difference now. The Viair models that end in "C" are meant to be used with a tank and the models ending with an "H" actually have a cutoff switch if I've got it right. Now I'm going to have to rethink my strategy. I think by the time I collected everything I needed it would be a lot more expensive than I originally thought. I really like the idea of having the convenience of a chuck on the bumper but I may just go with the Viair 88p 45% duty cycle and says good for 33" tires. Not as convenient but around 70 bucks so I may be able to live with it.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lowendrider
Thanks for the responses. With your help and a little more research, I understand the difference now. The Viair models that end in "C" are meant to be used with a tank and the models ending with an "H" actually have a cutoff switch if I've got it right. Now I'm going to have to rethink my strategy. I think by the time I collected everything I needed it would be a lot more expensive than I originally thought. I really like the idea of having the convenience of a chuck on the bumper but I may just go with the Viair 88p 45% duty cycle and says good for 33" tires. Not as convenient but around 70 bucks so I may be able to live with it.
I have a viair 400P and it pumps my 33's up very fast. I'm not sure how long it will run before kicking off but I can air 4 33's from 0 to 35psi in nothing flat and it does not kick off. i kind of like that I can take it with me for other things.

Quick Reply: Viair question