Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Very very VERY bumpy ride.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to drop your PSI to 26-28. It will make a huge difference. Also, do the chalk tire pressure test.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fitzb
You need to drop your PSI to 26-28. It will make a huge difference. Also, do the chalk tire pressure test.
Haven't tried 26psi yet. Was riding 28 then got the tires rebalanced a few weeks ago and discount put them at 32. Didn't make too much difference at 28 but I'll try 26.

Thanks.

Only reason I asked about coils is my buddy is running same set up as me just with the EVO plush 3" coils and it was a world of difference. He was at 30 psi as well.

Just wondering the different options I'm coil set ups people are running.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 AM
Former Vendor

Tire pressure and shocks have a lot to do with ride quality as well. As far as springs go, Rock Krawler just came out with new triple rate coil springs.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weight of your Jeep is a factor as well. I have a light 2 door and I pulled my Bilsteins off after a week. I nearly lost a kidney. I'm running the new OME shocks and it is much better. However, I regret going with the HD coils as they are too stiff.

MetalCloak has some great coils as well. There is some truth to shocks being tuned better for certain coils. You could also revalve your shocks so that they are setup for your vehicle.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBANDIT55
Just sayin I had different shocks on before I had the bilstiens. 0 difference in ride quality
RC shocks are fairly stiff.

Bilstein shocks are on the stiffer side and work better with heavier rigs.

To be clear, do you have 3" or 3.5" springs, and do you have a 1" coil spacer on top?
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 AM
MTR
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
Tire pressure and shocks have a lot to do with ride quality as well. As far as springs go, Rock Krawler just came out with new triple rate coil springs.
Regarding the triple rate spring do you actually ride on the softer rates during street driving, or are the softer rates main function to stretch more when flexing off-road?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
RC shocks are fairly stiff.

Bilstein shocks are on the stiffer side and work better with heavier rigs.

To be clear, do you have 3" or 3.5" springs, and do you have a 1" coil spacer on top?
I Have a 1" spcaer on top Which im sure makes them stiffer. And actually Im starting to think the coils are sagging once again. I did run them pretty hard this summer. Wheeling 1-2 times a week on some of colorados harder trails. Noticed the front end is a lot lower than the rear. It used to be level.

The rig is going to get a little heavier next month. Got some Knuckles off road front and rear bumpers on the way along with a winch.

What made me ask this question was I took a ride in my buddies rig, 3" teraflex coils with 5160s and 37" toyos sat 30 psi and it just felt a lot smoother.

Just know there is different options and was wondering what others are running and if they like em.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:42 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked because 4"-4.5" on short arms deteriorates the ride as well.

If you want a softer shock that is long travel, go with Old Man Emu. They would work well with RK, Old Man Emu, or Metal Cloak springs. You'll need extended brake lines and rear lower coil retainers to run OME LT shocks with 3"-3.5" springs--except for maybe the Metal Cloak springs.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
I asked because 4"-4.5" on short arms deteriorates the ride as well. If you want a softer shock that is long travel, go with Old Man Emu. They would work well with RK, Old Man Emu, or Metal Cloak springs. You'll need extended brake lines and rear lower coil retainers to run OME LT shocks with 3"-3.5" springs--except for maybe the Metal Cloak springs.
I was thinking RK as well. Might just do a 3" lift. I'm trying to run minimal lift as possible to run 37s with flat fenders.

Again thanks for all your help. I'll take a look at the stuff you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBANDIT55
..... I never asked for advice on shocks. I asked for advice on Lifts/coils.
I never asked for advice, I simply asked what people are running and if they like them.
Well... True, there are coils which are somewhat softer, but the bottom line is the coil/shock combination.

Between these two, the one that makes a big difference is the shock.
The reason for that is, that for keeping the Jeeps' weight at a certain height, the coil coefficient of different coils should be the same.
Variants of progressive coils, or coilovers, can behave nicer.
Unlike the coil, the shocks' resistance to either compression or decompression can be tweaked over a relatively wide range.

I use 4" lift Full Traction coils (relatively soft) and Fox shocks w/ reservoirs, re-valved to work with the specific coils. It's not too hard on road, not too much bumpstop hitting offroad.

The MetalCloak dual-rate coils, in combination with their 6Pak Shocks, seem to be even better in being soft enough on roads yet absorbing enough offroad.
However, any shock that is valved specifically for the Metal Cloak (or any other multi or progressive rate), will yield the same result.

All that - assuming that everything in you suspension is properly tightened.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-19-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Very very VERY bumpy ride.