Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Very very VERY bumpy ride.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very very VERY bumpy ride.

Like the title says, my jeep is stiffer than my johnson when I wake up in the morning... Id say my jeep is 3x stiffer than stock. feels like I have no compression at all. On my old JK I was running 2" spacers on stock coils and the ride was way better.

Running bilstein 5160s on a 3" RC coils. 37" tires at 32psi.

Now I never used to care too much how ruff the ride was, but its now getting annoying.

What lift are you guys running that has great offroad ability and on road comfort?

Buying a new lift but wanna keep my 5160s.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have RC springs and RC shocks and mine rides fine. If the suspension is low miles it may just need some time to get broke in. Make sure your shocks and end links are tight I had a problem with that causing mine to ride rough.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bilsteins are notorious for being a bit stiff. Also, drop your psi to about 27 or so.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Bilsteins are a little on the stiff side. I'm running the same shocks, and noticed the increase in the stiffness of the ride when I put them on, but I prefer that over a "mushy" ride. I can't stand it when my jeep gets body roll when turning a corner, which is what it was doing with the joke of a shock that comes stock on the X. I have heard that the 5160 will soften up a little over time, but mine are less than a year old, and I can only tell a little bit of softening so far. I have heard that Old Man Emus will give you a softer ride, but I'm guessing you will probably get a little more roll with them. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem selling your Bilsteins if you wanted to go to the OMEs.

Also, what tire are you running? An "E" tire will be a lot harsher than a "C", for instance. Might look at that, too.

Edit: N/M on the tires. I just saw that you are running 37"s. I have no idea what's available as far as load range in that size, I've never run anything bigger than a 33".

Jason
Old 11-18-2013, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Maybe I'm getting older? Lol.

It never used to bother me but now it's pissing me off.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what company actually factors in a comfortable ride as well.

We will be hitting up Moab EJS then then straight to Florida for jeep beach. Trying to get the jeep ready.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

You just don't want to admit it is your shocks , rock your jeep with the shocks in and then take your shocks out and rock the jeep and see if you feel a difference

I felt the same way you did and found out it was my shocks , you could jump on my bumper and the jeep wouldn't move , now I run fox all around and love my ride and I love my springs even more because they have not sag after all these years
Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jaker t5
You just don't want to admit it is your shocks , rock your jeep with the shocks in and then take your shocks out and rock the jeep and see if you feel a difference I felt the same way you did and found out it was my shocks , you could jump on my bumper and the jeep wouldn't move , now I run fox all around and love my ride and I love my springs even more because they have not sag after all these years
Nah I don't think it's the shocks. I replaced the RC shocks because I thought they were the problem. Switching from the RC shocks to the bilstein dual resi shocks made 0 difference.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont ask for advice and say definitively that is not your issue. Its been well documented that bilsteins are stiff. They are stiff on everyone elses jeep and they are stiff on yours.

Maybe if you weren't so stubborn you would do some research and see that many people have complained about the same issue with those shocks.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D_engel
dont ask for advice and say definitively that is not your issue. Its been well documented that bilsteins are stiff. They are stiff on everyone elses jeep and they are stiff on yours. Maybe if you weren't so stubborn you would do some research and see that many people have complained about the same issue with those shocks.
Wow are you serious? I never asked for advice on shocks. I asked for advice on Lifts/coils.

I know and wheel with plenty of people with bilstiens to know for a fact that is not the issue.

No need for you to be an ass. I am running RC coils, search that and you will see that's the problem. I've done my research. This is my 2nd set of RC coils as they already warrantied the first ones for sagging. I never asked for advice, I simply asked what people are running and if they like them.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Just sayin I had different shocks on before I had the bilstiens. 0 difference in ride quality

Last edited by JKBANDIT55; 11-18-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Very very VERY bumpy ride.