Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Very unhappy with Rough Country JK winch plate install

Old 01-01-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very unhappy with Rough Country JK winch plate install

So today I decided I would install the Rough Country JK winch plate that I ordered last week. I checked the hardware list when I received It(after I downloaded the instructions from the website), instructions were not included. All hardware seamed to be there so off to the install.

Removing the factory bumper was pretty easy, except for those stupid platic screws that don't unscrew. Installing the RC brackets was pretty straightforward, the bottom bolt was a bit challenging to get tight, but with some creative sockets, extensions, etc, it worked fine.

Mount the winch to the plate and whoo hoo almost done. Sit the winch and attached plate to the bumper and WAMMO, the two front bolts that attach to the bracket that take the place of the factory tow hooks, aren't even close to fitting properly, both the threads on the brackets and the bolts are now destroyed from trying every possible way to get them to thread.

I tried everything I could to get these two dam bolts to fit and no luck. Now I was very reluctant to buy this product in the first place. I had issues with hardware before with the RC stabilizer. In the mean time I had purchased a TJ winch plate from RC and it worked great, so I thought I would give the JK one a try, and boy am I am DISAPPOINTED. I've spent half my New Years day trying to get this thing to work, and I am no further than I was before I started, and now I have to take it all apart again and put it back to stock so I can drive my DAM JEEP again.

I've sent the RC REP on here a PM, and will be awaiting a response. IN the meantime I am debating whether to send the dam thing back and get something that works. If I can find someplace tommorow that has a bumper in stock, Quadratec, or OK4wd are both local, I may just go get one so I don't have to take this thing apart another 2x to get it to work!

Awaiting a respose from RC
Old 01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Send it back and buy mine. I only used it for a little over a year. I had hardware issues too when I first got it. Once that was resolved it worked good.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

UGH, I just got done un-installing everything, to remove the defective parts.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Junkie

If you see holes not lining up, NEVER attempt threading bolts into anything. Ream the holes and work it before installing. Everyone I know has something bad to say about RC. Wouldn't run anything from them.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
If you see holes not lining up, NEVER attempt threading bolts into anything. Ream the holes and work it before installing. Everyone I know has something bad to say about RC. Wouldn't run anything from them.
I tried cleaning the powder coating off, didn't work, still not a chance in hell they fit in here. Believe me this is the last RC product I'll buy, their QC is lacking.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:03 AM
JK Freak

mine did this too.

I bought some metal grinding bits for my drill and opened the holes a bit.
took forever and I burned up the bits.
but I got the damn thing to work.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

So I figure I'd update this.
I luckily picked up a Warn kit locally and got it installed and the Jeep back together again.

Called RC LAST Monday morning got Jeff on the phone, told him how disappointed I was, and that I wanted a call tag to have it picked up as I already replaced it with another mount. Wasn't really apologetic or anything and said fine I'll send it out with a bit of an attitude. NO CALL TAG HAS ARRIVED YET. Couple days later I get a reply from my original PM to Ben the RC rep on here and explain the story to him and he says, no problem, I will email you a call tag ASAP. That was last week, and STILL NO CALL TAG. I've since sent him another PM requesting a call tag with no response.

Next step is to call the Credit Card company, file a complaint and refuse the charge on my card.

I was considering a RC 2.5 Kit, but that WILL NEVER HAPPEN!
Thanks for the great Customer service guys.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its too bad you had such issues. I installed the RC plate on Saturday and mine fit like a glove.

I went with the RC plate because the few aftermarket bumpers I like are all close to $1000. I don't mind the look of the factory bumpers and I think the RC plate looks good on the Jeep.

I will say the dudes at RC aren't real friendly over the phone. Its like pulling teeth to get more than a one word answer out of them.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

hey nj.. i have had some troubles with same type deal.. i bought a soft top.. $1200 and nothing worked or lined up right.. HORRIBLE product.. i may have just gotten a bad apple.. im not a rep for RC but i do have to say that i am VERY satisfied with my lift.. and spacers.. and steering stablizer.. but to go along with you i must say instructions were pitiful.. not enough information on things.. no details.. a person who had no idea about stuff would have been sttuggling on installation.. hope all works out well..
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rozzman10
hey nj.. i have had some troubles with same type deal.. i bought a soft top.. $1200 and nothing worked or lined up right.. HORRIBLE product.. i may have just gotten a bad apple.. im not a rep for RC but i do have to say that i am VERY satisfied with my lift.. and spacers.. and steering stablizer.. but to go along with you i must say instructions were pitiful.. not enough information on things.. no details.. a person who had no idea about stuff would have been sttuggling on installation.. hope all works out well..
Actually this is the second product from RC I've had an issue with, first was the Steering stabilizer, the brackets had stress cracks in them and the hardware was a joke that came with the kit. They replaced it all under warranty, but still highly disappointed.

Quick Reply: Very unhappy with Rough Country JK winch plate install