Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Very loud clunking from rear DS or diff? Video inside

Old 02-28-2021, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I'd be interested to see another picture from a different angle if you have one. That one image is hard to tell. Whatever it is is no bueno for sure.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's for sure the pinion, I saw it in the back missing 2 big chunks. It's causing the clunk because it's getting caught now during rotation. Today my goal was to remove tires, pull the axle shafts out. Remove the R&P and put the carrier back in so I could at least drive temporary. Took the tires off, unbolted the calipers and it all stopped lol . I couldn't get the 3 bolts on hub to break because I only have hand tools and there's not enough room to work on 2 of the bolts
Old 02-28-2021, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You mentioned it was the rear and your last post says 3 hub bolts? The rear has 4 bolts back there. Go back to my post above- you'll need that ring gear to toss fluid around to keep your bearings at the ends of the tubes lubed otherwise you'll have another issue on hand. If you've got the pinion out then there's nothing for the ring gear to chew up but the axle shafts will turn it to throw gear oil everywhere.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

regardless of front or rear which is now getting confusing, if you can't get either bearing bolts in front or retainer bolts in the back off with hand tools, do you have a plan on removing the pinion nut? Everything can be done with hand tools if you have the proper ones. The pinion nuts are a little tricky as you need leverage but the room you have to work doesn't make that super easy.

+1 on Karl reiterating you need to leave the ring gear on the carrier.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the decision to take it in next week. Ordered some Yukon gears and a master kit and there's a well known local here in FL that charges 600 / axle. I don't need the headache at this point of pulling everything out , then having someone repeat the process and install new gears
All good

Quick Reply: Very loud clunking from rear DS or diff? Video inside