Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Very confused in MA. (Gear related) did I call a dumb shop?

Old 12-28-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure where in Mass you are from but there's a place in NH called "Steves jeep country" its a small/med shop that does all of this on a regular basis. They are good guys and have experience. At the very least they can give you advice on everything. Not sure on prices being you have all your own stuff but worth the call. I have an 08 with 3:73 and am jumping to 4:88 (on 35's). The 5:13 would prob be a safe jump also but I have driven on both and think the 4:88 are better for the on-road aspect. I was told I would need a new front carrier also for the gears to work. I was quoted $1900 for all parts and labour. Best I can find in this area (WITH experience and warranty)
Old 12-28-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like the shop that suggested new axle and turbo is either run be inexperienced kids or someone who enjoys ripping people off.

Find a shop that does re-gearing for Jeeps as a normal part of their business. After a collision, my insurance company had my Jeep repairs at their collision repair shop which was owned by a Cadillac dealership. They did an excellent job on the bodywork. They replaced the axle housing but reused the gears and axles. Apparently they had no clue how to setup a crush sleeve because after that when I rotated the front drive shaft the pinion moved in and out. Not only did they not setup the differential correctly, they guaranteed the gears would fail in short order. There is no shop I trust near me so from now on I do all drive train work myself. Who will take more time to make sure it's done right than I would?

The 5.13s will be fine in you D30. Since you have the 3.73 carrier, that can stay... or you can upgrade to lockers which makes re-gear install even easier.

The weakest link with 37s will be the C's. Even if you don't hard-core off-road, the weight and especially the angular momentum created by those tires on road will eventually bend your C's. You definitely want to truss. Trusses are cheap and having an experienced shop doing them during the re-gear should be cheaper than doing them later (unless you can weld them yourself).

With 37's extra radius you might think about better brakes. The extra torque from the longer lever will require more force to stop.

During re-gear the axles will be out. If you want to sleeve eventually, this is the perfect time to get it done for minimal extra labor cost.

BTW - I have a 2010 JKU Sahara Auto with 3.73s original and going 4.88. 35's is as large as I'll ever go.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jknit
Bahahahah, what a fucking loser you are, trolling people's threads, what's it matter if I offroad or not it's my jeep I do what I want with it, can't see how that impacts anyone else, people like you bring a terrible name to jeepers, you sir, are a douche
To be honest, both of you are kind of acting that way. Karls in his text that you quoted and elitist attitude, and you in your response. I agree with you that your jeep is yours and that nobody else can tell you how to set it up, but Karls is correct that a truss is the better route for you. Both of you should step back and recognize the reality of the situation.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeverePatronage
To be honest, both of you are kind of acting that way. Karls in his text that you quoted and elitist attitude, and you in your response. I agree with you that your jeep is yours and that nobody else can tell you how to set it up, but Karls is correct that a truss is the better route for you. Both of you should step back and recognize the reality of the situation.
eh, I think I had every right to call him out, my response had nothing to do with the parts he suggested, Im here asking questions to get answers like that...but he trolled the thread waiting for a response just to write something stupid like that, he did it just to be a dick, no place for that here
Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Go to Dr. Wheels on the cape or Elias 4WD in Townsend. I've used them both and they both do great work. They know what they're doing.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jknit
Bahahahah, what a fucking loser you are, trolling people's threads, what's it matter if I offroad or not it's my jeep I do what I want with it, can't see how that impacts anyone else, people like you bring a terrible name to jeepers, you sir, are a douche
I'm a loser? Trolling?? No sir. I'm telling you that to get the most out of your money you'd be better with a truss over a sleeve but you insist on going the route of least efficiency. I was trying to give you a better solution and you sloughed it off like I suggested dipping your frame in chrome. It's your truck, do as you please, but take good advice when it's given. But go on, call me a douche, a loser, and a troll. Tell me I give jeepers a bad name by passing out good advice to folks who clearly need it. Yep, my bad.
Originally Posted by SeverePatronage
Ok, elitist attitude is correct- but not completely intentionally. Only when there is blunt ignorance involved with a solution that's better. I'm disappointed that someone would look for advice and then ignore it.

Reality- it's a mall crawler on 37's. People run 37's on d30's without any reinforcement, so he's actually ok. It's just wise to put money into a truss and gussets to strengthen the axle for when he does go off road.

My apologies for being a troll, asshole, douche, "bad name to jeepers", and general scum of the earth.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've read many of karls' posts on the forum. Pretty solid contributor. Enough said.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I've read many of karls' posts on the forum. Pretty solid contributor. Enough said.
Yeah this thread should be called dead...
Old 12-28-2013, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd like to state that I never intended any insult behind any statements I have made. I was merely trying to smooth troubled waters. Karls is a good source of information, as others have stated, and he knows it. The OP definitely overreacted in this case. Serves me right for attempting diplomacy on the internet.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.02. I'm also down on the Cape and I've used Waynes Offroad in Barnstable for all of my lifted rigs/Jeeps. He's always done great work and knows his shit around a Jeep.
I've also heard Dr. Wheels and Platinum auto in yarmouth do good work as well. It may suite you well to make the hour drive down here and get it done right the first time.
Hope I didn't offend anyone? Ha

Quick Reply: Very confused in MA. (Gear related) did I call a dumb shop?