Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Very confused in MA. (Gear related) did I call a dumb shop?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jknit
I got 5.13's for xmas for my 2010 wrangler unlimited mountain edition, 3.73's in the d30 up front so I shouldn't need a new axel housing, and its a d44 in the back. Called Boston Jeepz today in Newton, Ma and they said they wouldn't install them in my jeep, that it wouldn't be good for my jeep and I should get new teraflex axels, and that I wouldnt notice any difference unless I supercharged the jeep too? This isnt something I have ever heard. Im not expecting to feel like I am on a rocket ship with the new gears but everyone said the driveabiliy post re-gear is day and night, I did my research before I got the 5.13's...even talked to Northridge. Is this just a case of someone not knowing what they were talking about or what? Any advice would be much appreciated, and any other shop suggestions in the greater boston area would be great.
I'm pretty Wes's in the gearing dilemma, other than the fact you have a 2010 and the 3.8...

But I never saw any mention of you getting bigger tires?

When uncertain about my regearing I relied on the charts for reinforcement

I went with 5:13 but I went with big tires, with a 3.8 my guess would be that your going with 35's?

Like I always say, 35's are the new 33's and 37's are the new 35's

But if you are going to 35's there plenty of threads about sleeves and gussets...which are good temporary fixes, your Jeep is only as good as your weakest link

Matthew
Old 12-27-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I'm pretty Wes's in the gearing dilemma, other than the fact you have a 2010 and the 3.8...

But I never saw any mention of you getting bigger tires?

When uncertain about my regearing I relied on the charts for reinforcement

I went with 5:13 but I went with big tires, with a 3.8 my guess would be that your going with 35's?

Like I always say, 35's are the new 33's and 37's are the new 35's

But if you are going to 35's there plenty of threads about sleeves and gussets...which are good temporary fixes, your Jeep is only as good as your weakest link

Matthew
I have 37's, had them for a while just kept pretending to myself that I didn't like the sluggishness, Im not looking for more power I just want things as simple as keeping up my highway speeds.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkd3624
Going from 3.21 to 4.88. Was day and night to me personally. Sounds like the guy was trying to sell you a bunch of shit. You'll notice a lot of difference I think but depending on tire size and most people I have talked to a Dana 30 you max size is a 35" tire. Your going to some day want to replace your axle to a Dana 44 front in which case I would look at pro rock. If you talked with northridge I would trust what they say. They always know their stuff
Northridge did a great job guiding me on my maze navigation as far as wheel size and weakest links goes...

I really needed lockers, and it didn't take a lot of math to figure out that just swapping gears and adding lockers was going to quickly add up.

Plus the whole reinforcing my d30 up front...I looked into avoiding all that stuff and David at Northridge pointed out the Dynatrac pro rock d44

So I wound up going at it big time, then I realized I had heavy duty everything and it would be a waste not to just goto 37's

I am so happy that I did...2012 with 5:13's and manual transmission it feels like an all new Jeep, better even than stock with 3:21's and 255 tires!

Thing handles like a slightly heavy sports car now

Can't wait till next years trail rides and Jeep Jamborees!

Matthew
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Northridge did a great job guiding me on my maze navigation as far as wheel size and weakest links goes...

I really needed lockers, and it didn't take a lot of math to figure out that just swapping gears and adding lockers was going to quickly add up.

Plus the whole reinforcing my d30 up front...I looked into avoiding all that stuff and David at Northridge pointed out the Dynatrac pro rock d44

So I wound up going at it big time, then I realized I had heavy duty everything and it would be a waste not to just goto 37's

I am so happy that I did...2012 with 5:13's and manual transmission it feels like an all new Jeep, better even than stock with 3:21's and 255 tires!

Thing handles like a slightly heavy sports car now

Can't wait till next years trail rides and Jeep Jamborees!

Matthew
I dont offroad so I am not too concerned with the weak points, I know I need to gusset and sleeve and I know the longer I risk it on the d30, the better chance I run of a break, but Ive decided to wait it out as long as I can until that day comes, if it comes. I am pretty easy on my jeep in general, so I figure if anyone has a chance to truly make a d30 last with 37's, its this guy...Ive followed your build, pretty damn impressive, im 26 years old and I work for the biggest accounting firm in the world but they dont pay us near enough for that haha, maybe a jeep or 2 from now Ill be able to do something like that
Old 12-27-2013, 09:01 PM
JK Junkie

I have 37's, had them for a while just kept pretending to myself that I didn't like the sluggishness, Im not looking for more power I just want things as simple as keeping up my highway speeds.
Just going to 33's with 3:21's really sucked on the highway!

i am really loving my 5:13's, if it was a true dd I could probably go with 4:88's, but 1/2 my reason for getting the Jk and doing the Dynatrac overhaul was rocky trails and Jeep Jamborees!

matthew
Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Just going to 33's with 3:21's really sucked on the highway! i am really loving my 5:13's, if it was a true dd I could probably go with 4:88's, but 1/2 my reason for getting the Jk and doing the Dynatrac overhaul was rocky trails and Jeep Jamborees! matthew
Ya I had 33's for 2 years before I
Upgraded to 37s and it was terrible then too
Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont offroad
Well that's a different scenario altogether. Why spend all that hard-earned dough to run 37s for pavement? Yeah they def look cool, but 35s look great too and will cut the costs down so you can spend your money on other stuff.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Fellow masshole myself also with a 2010 but 2dr. I'm down in the cape and a few weeks ago went from 3.73 to 4.56. Only running a 34" tire. I highly recommend dr wheels down here in Yarmouth. They do a lot of gear swaps and there jeeps are crazy modded. They are neep nuts just like us so they're they only ones I trust to touch mine. Ran me about 800 bucks and a day and a half. Its definitely not a rocket ship now but a significant difference I usable power when driving around. I can actually get up hills and pass people now!

Last edited by blue project; 12-28-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:38 AM
JK Junkie

I dont offroad so I am not too concerned with the weak points, I know I need to gusset and sleeve
So you didn't read my post above where I said the sleeve doesn't do much for you and a truss is a better option? Fine choice sir- sleeve away. Make sure you get the outside clamshell style though, it'll look much cooler and people will be able to see that you've spent $$$ on your massive on road toy.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

Gotcha

When you use the web app it doesn't show you the signature block with all that useful info...

Matthew

Quick Reply: Very confused in MA. (Gear related) did I call a dumb shop?