Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Verify these wheels will fit

Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdw0717
This is a great confirmation of the problem. Can someone post a picture of what they needed to do to resolve this problem? I have read on numerous forums that 15" wheels were a problem on a JK but no one new why.
I believe it is a wheel to wheel thing. I had to grind more on one side than the other, with the same wheels.

The problem is 15" wheels just aren't supposed to be on there. However, the cost in wheels and tires initally, and in the long run, make the slight modification worth it.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

The "every JK is different" thing, added to the fact that the inboard concavity of every rim is not SHAPED the same...leads to various combinations of 15" rims and BS clearing or rubbing.

The cost of 15" rubber, vs 16 - 18" rubber is a significant difference, although right now, a lot of 16" sizes are the same price as their 15" counterparts...Interco/swamper tires for example. 17" offroad tire's are becoming very typical, and the prices have been plummetting.......and, eventually, 17" tires may become the new norm, especially as a 30" TIRE used to be A BIG TIRE, AND NOW, 32'S ARE STD., etc.

The larger sidewall height helps a tire to conform to rough terrrain/wrap rocks, etc...but at the price of more wishy-washy - more squirrely ON road handling.

The difference in rock wrap between a 15" tire and a 17" tire doesn't seem to make much difference for 30"+ tires, so most of the pro rock crawlers are running 17" tires now.

The second hurdle to clear will be when state inspections roll around in a few years, etc.....and you are not allowed to have the tire protrude outside of the fenders...

With 3.75" BS, most tires are going to stick out too far...plus, the tires will be swinging in a much wider arc than stock, as the swing radius is now a whopping 2.5" more than stock...a wider swing, means more stuff might end up in the way, etc.

So - that's a turn stop bolt adjustment type fix...but, you now need a wider area to make a tight turn/more K turns, etc...in tight trals, etc.

So - depending upon your state/if you sell or keep the stock tires and rims to get through inspections, what kind of wheeling you do (Tight trails vs open areas, parking lots, vs parking garages, etc...), the 15" solution can either be a great way to save $ on repeat tire purchases, or, a PITA with new rub or compliance issues, etc.

So - grinding the calipers to make a 15" rim fit a hub designed to fit 16" and up rims WILL work, and has been done for YEARS by various other truck enthusiasts.

There are compromises to consider though, so as to make an informed decision...and if its right or wrong, for you, then at least you went into it with fore-knowledge, and made your decision on facts.

Hope that helps a bit!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

What would be the advantage of running 15" rims? I am curious as to why you guys want them bad enough to deal with the hastle of making them fit.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
They do not clear the front brake calipers on my '07 2DR Rubi.

Here is why:

This inside lip of the wheel:

appears to rub against the top front edge of the caliper:

So, the question for those who ground the calipers, did you grind just the top front edge where my finger is pointing above?

Or, did you also have to grind the outside edge here?
Awsome dude! Thanks for the pics! I've been researching this for a while and really have no consensus as to what was actually rubing.
From your pics I would think that the caliper problem is the first finger point to caliper pic.
The way the wheel curves away I wouldn't think it would contact the outboard side of caliper.
Does it look like the outside surfaces of the caliper will clear the rim?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

They do not clear the front brake calipers on my '07 2DR Rubi.

Here is why:

This inside lip of the wheel:

appears to rub against the top front edge of the caliper:

So, the question for those who ground the calipers, did you grind just the top front edge where my finger is pointing above?

Or, did you also have to grind the outside edge here?
Yes, where you are pointing is where I had to grind some. Also, the outer most top and bottom corners. Didn't have to take much off, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	caliper.jpg
Views:	44678
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	6904

Last edited by JK07X; 03-08-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
davidadks

Default How'd you make out?

How'd you make out with the clearance issue? Did you grind the calipers? Looks like your wheels were hitting in essentially the same place as mine. I took off about 1/8" along the inner edge and the inner-top and -bottom portions of the caliper bridge, and my wheels clear just fine now. Just curious how you did with yours.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 AM
davidadks

I decided to buy 17x8 Cragar Soft 8s with 4.5" backspacing to run 35x12.5 Toyo MTs.

I was going to return my 15x8 Cragar Soft 8, 4" backspaced wheels to Summitracing. I would have had to ship them back at my cost.

However, I did have an extra set of 33x10.5 BFG ATs in my garage I used in the past for freeway and winter driving on my TJ. It would be easy to have them mounted on the 15x8s. So, I decided to grind a little off the calipers to see how easily the wheels fit. I didn't have to grind much off. It was very easy. (I shouldn't have been so impatient and ordered the 17" wheels.)

I used my daughter's sidewalk chalk to cover the areas identified in the above picture. Then, I would put the wheel on with 2 lug nuts moderately tightened so I could turn the wheel and listen for rubbing. Then, I would remove the wheel and see where the chalk had been rubbed off. I ground a little material off those areas, re-applied the chalk, and repeat. After repeating a second time, I had elminated all the scraping/rubbing on the drivers's side. The process was the same for the passenger's side.

I had purchased the tires in the past from Costco, so I took my new wheels and the 33" BFGs to Costco, and had them mounted and balanced for $6 each--carry out in the back of my pickup.

So, now if I ever need to visit the dealer for service, do commuting/freeway driving with a destination that is not offroad, want better gas mileage, or just want an easier to drive JK, I run my 33" ATs on my 15" wheels.

And, for fun, weekends, offroading, etc., I run the 35" Toyos. I have the garage space to store the extra set--so no biggie.
Thanks for the reply. I wound up grinding points along the inner edge of the caliper bridge and also used the chalk method. At first, I was leery of grinding that outer portion of the caliper because of how relatively thin it is, but upon closer inspection, I saw where the contact points were. Even though they were slight, they were enough to prevent the wheels from turning. Just had to grind a little and the MT's I got worked like a charm. Although, I was really surprised that MT 16's hit anything. My stock rims were 16's. Never a dull moment.

Cheers!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KCTW
What would be the advantage of running 15" rims? I am curious as to why you guys want them bad enough to deal with the hastle of making them fit.
For me, it's because I really want to run a BFG All-Terrain KO tire in 33x10.5, and they don't make that in 16-inch rim size.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why not buy one rim ...

Select the rim you want buy one, before you get it find out the terms if you need to retrun it.. Fit it up on your JK see what ya get. Returning one rim vs 4 can't be that much.. Of course you are buying five new rims and tires? Seeing alot of people cheaping out keeping a stock as a spare, not good when you are on the trail putting a 32 on when the others are 35 or 37's

Quick Reply: Verify these wheels will fit