Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Verify these wheels will fit

Old 02-16-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Verify these wheels will fit

I searched up and down and I have got a mess of mixed answers.

I am looking at getting:

Cragar Soft 8, 15x8, 4.0" Backspace, 5x5 Bolt Pattern. Will these clear the calipers?

The only reason I ask is because some of you had issues with 4.0" of backspacing, but others with a 15" wheel and 3.75" of backspacing have had no issues.

On the other hand, people with 3.75" still rub.

Only reason I'm asking is that I am ordering from Summit, and when they mount and balance the tires and wheels before they ship them, they are not returnable.

Any insight?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe all you will receive is mixed answers my friend. Lots of threads about this and most seem to have no trouble running those wheels. Then, like you said, a certain few have had rubbing issues.

I am at a loss when it comes to a consensus on 15's. I want to run them as well. I'm gonna shoot for 3.75" BS though.

It is a relief to know though, that only a certain few have had trouble, and most everyone else fits them just fine. I just wish I knew why the certain few had rubbing issues.....no way to tell.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D1EHARD
I believe all you will receive is mixed answers my friend. Lots of threads about this and most seem to have no trouble running those wheels. Then, like you said, a certain few have had rubbing issues.

I am at a loss when it comes to a consensus on 15's. I want to run them as well. I'm gonna shoot for 3.75" BS though.

It is a relief to know though, that only a certain few have had trouble, and most everyone else fits them just fine. I just wish I knew why the certain few had rubbing issues.....no way to tell.
I didn't actually install them myself, but, I had tried to have ProComp Series 97's installed last week and it didn't work. They were 15x8 with 3.75 bs. The tech said they hit the brake caliper before the wheel would even go all the way on. The diameter of the wheel was not the problem but the backspacing. Again, I didn't actually see it myself.

I'm sure the shop wasn't excited to give me back my $1500, so I assume if there was way, they would have done it.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep Rustler, I remember reading your post in another thread. The specs on those wheels you tried are the exact measurements of the wheels that dozens of JK owners use. I can't understand it. Your case and I think 2 more are all I have found on this site that have have problems running 15's.

Wish I knew why...
Old 02-18-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D1EHARD
Yep Rustler, I remember reading your post in another thread. The specs on those wheels you tried are the exact measurements of the wheels that dozens of JK owners use. I can't understand it. Your case and I think 2 more are all I have found on this site that have have problems running 15's.

Wish I knew why...
Me too, believe me, I had rims and 35" BFG M/T's all paid for and NO GO.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Verified.

JK07X

Heads up Friend.

I DID buy these same rims last week!!!
Cragar Soft 8's 15X8 4" BS from Summit

Based on the info of this and other websites there shouldn't have been no issues, but........

Was I Surprised!!!!!!!!

Rims were rubbing hard in the front on the Brake calipers. Could not even turn them by hand. I looked at the situation and determined that it was worth the attemp to make it work.

I used a diegrinder with 60 grit roll-lock pad and removed some "high spots" from the calipers at both ends(top and bottom corners) and from what i consider the outboard side approximate 1/16". Once that was completed , 10 min, the rims were clear of rubbing, which when you spin the wheel there is no noise except the actual brake pads on the rotor sound.

The rear was clear!

I am confident that the minor grinding is of no harm to my brake system.

Installed the rims and 35x 12.50x 15 BFG AT and love it.

Hope this helps you or the next fellow jeepers

07JKX Rescue Green 4DR, 3" Black diamond Lift, 35x 12.50x 15 BFG AT
Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got them in today, and it rubbed on the front (on the passengers side, the only one I tried). It was 9pm when I put it on, so didn't have the light to check it out.

I was able to spin it by hand, but soon as you stop applying pressure, it stops spinning.

I will assess if grinding is a possibility without compromising my brakes (my life).

07JKXRG, like you, I found plenty of information regarding that this would fit. Guess not.

Thanks for the information you all have given, someone should start a thread regarding which wheels fit and which don't.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

After examination, I decided to go ahead and grind the calipers.

The only parts I had to grind were the outer edges of the top and bottom of the caliper and the "bridge" (for lack of a better word) that connected the top and bottom of the caliper in front of the rotors.

All in all, I just rounded the corners of the top and bottom (grinded probably 1/8"). The "bridge" needed about the same grinded off the outer-most edge.

I was surprised with how much metal there was to work with. Very thick calipers .

Rims fit and spin freely!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

This is a great confirmation of the problem. Can someone post a picture of what they needed to do to resolve this problem? I have read on numerous forums that 15" wheels were a problem on a JK but no one new why.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Interesting - I have installed the pro comp 97 - 15x8 3.75 BS on a friends rig and they worked just fine

It was an 07

Quick Reply: Verify these wheels will fit