Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

venting the hood???

Old 09-26-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seer1
I don't know about the production hoods, but if you knock some holes in the hood it won't maybe work quite like you expect. I was figuring on an immediate overall drop in temp. Instead, it would behave pretty much the same under load (going up hill, accelerating, etc...) But the temp would drop instantly once the load was removed instead of the temp staying steady for a while. Combine that with a Flashpaq to change the fan temp and it runs much cooler. Here's what I did and yes, I'd do it again. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...highlight=hood
i see what you mean but i'm not to worried about when the jeep is moving, more worried about when being stuck and running it hard to get out, then you usually take break or work at gettin the rest of the rigs through. i know you could leave it run but i'd like to shut it off and let the heat escape out the hood vents.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
i see what you mean but i'm not to worried about when the jeep is moving, more worried about when being stuck and running it hard to get out, then you usually take break or work at gettin the rest of the rigs through. i know you could leave it run but i'd like to shut it off and let the heat escape out the hood vents.
When it's shut off, there's no load on it. It cools pretty quickly.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the Gen-Rite ones too. They fit perfect. I mounted them in a different spot than YOGURT and they do what they are supposed to...VENT. I used to have my Hella relays get so hot they would not funtion unless I tapped them. Now, none of that goin on. During rain waaaaaaaaay more water somes up thrugh the bottom of the engine compartment then through the vents. Almost nothing at all comes through the vents which is a concern considering I have an open element.

I do know I get compliments on the all the time, especially when people find out they are actually funtional. When sitting still I can actually see the ehat coming out the vent, I can't imagine how much they pull out at even moderate speeds. All in all I would totally do them again expecially for the $70 I spent it's one of the most functional mods I have done yet.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by seal20
I did the Gen-Rite ones too. They fit perfect. I mounted them in a different spot than YOGURT and they do what they are supposed to...VENT. I used to have my Hella relays get so hot they would not funtion unless I tapped them. Now, none of that goin on. During rain waaaaaaaaay more water somes up thrugh the bottom of the engine compartment then through the vents. Almost nothing at all comes through the vents which is a concern considering I have an open element.

I do know I get compliments on the all the time, especially when people find out they are actually funtional. When sitting still I can actually see the ehat coming out the vent, I can't imagine how much they pull out at even moderate speeds. All in all I would totally do them again expecially for the $70 I spent it's one of the most functional mods I have done yet.
Tape a narrow piece paper over the vent from the leading edge. Then, at different speeds, see if air coming out lifts the paper, or if high pressure over the hood keeps the paper down.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
When it's shut off, there's no load on it. It cools pretty quickly.
the temp actually goes up after you shut any engine off. its called a heat soak. no it doesn't keep going up and no it won't over heat. and this is what i'm after. i want to reduce my heat soak.

Quick Reply: venting the hood???