Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

venting the hood???

Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default venting the hood???

i can cook an egg on my hood after a bit of wheelin'. i assume its because you're working the engine hard and the jeep isn't moving much. i'm thinking of cutting a hole in the hood and installing a nice louvered cover. any down falls to this ????
Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

COP 4x4, AEV and Burnsville all make Heat Reduction hoods for the JK's. Check them out.

Ben
Old 09-16-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

or you could cut a 2x5 rectangle out of each side like AEV does and cover with aluminum like they use for grill inserts so nothing big can get into the hood. hmm may do this myself.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

I know that gen-right sells some hood louver kits. I think that you would need to go with the smaller ones though because you would need to fit between the cross bracing on the JK hood.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by YOGURT
These are Gen-Right hood vents. If you cut just the skin they will lay over any bracing with plenty of venting.

what about snow and water getting in from rain, can't be worse than driving down the highway in a rain storm.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

I have an AEV hood and I'm sure water/rain drips thru, but I don't think driving down the highway I get any thru there...it's more when sitting still. Considering how open the engine compartment is after a lift, tires, trimming the fenders, and going thru a few creeks...I'm certainly not worried about a little rain.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Big Clint
I have an AEV hood and I'm sure water/rain drips thru, but I don't think driving down the highway I get any thru there...it's more when sitting still. Considering how open the engine compartment is after a lift, tires, trimming the fenders, and going thru a few creeks...I'm certainly not worried about a little rain.
sounds good to me, maybe it will help keep it clean
Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Junkie

I don't know about the production hoods, but if you knock some holes in the hood it won't maybe work quite like you expect. I was figuring on an immediate overall drop in temp. Instead, it would behave pretty much the same under load (going up hill, accelerating, etc...) But the temp would drop instantly once the load was removed instead of the temp staying steady for a while. Combine that with a Flashpaq to change the fan temp and it runs much cooler. Here's what I did and yes, I'd do it again. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...highlight=hood
Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I cut a hole in the right side of my hood, bu t that is were the snorkel goes through.LOL
Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

To answer your question - no down side. If it works for you, it works.

Quick Reply: venting the hood???