Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

VDP Endcap Mod...Mod???

Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VDP Endcap Mod...Mod???

Okay, do I've ordered my VDP End Caps to do the Mod, but I'm thinking about modifying the mod

As much as I like the stubby look I am not a fan of seeing the plastic rivets. I started the cut and plastic weld route on another bumper that I picked up, and it was going okay other than I went through 3 Harbor-Freight plastic welders trying to get one side done. (I was buying the overgrown soldering iron type) I didn't really want to spend big bucks on a quality welder for a one time mod. So the one side looks great but this method id proving to be more of a pain than it is worth. So I threw in the towel and ordered some VDP end caps.

My question for you all is the feasibility of trimming the VDP caps at the rivet holes and then epoxying them onto the bumper. This would not only make them a touch shorter than they currently are (which I want) but also eliminate the rivets. To finish it off I was thinking of using 100% black silicone at the visible seam of the old bumper to the new end caps. Is there an epoxy you have experience with that has worked well on this plastic? Any thoughts on the silicone adhering?

This is a pic of what I am thinking:
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have Rough Country end caps (they are steel) and used the rivets along with black RVT. On plastic the RVT would be plenty strong to hold them in place. I will say I do not notice the plastic retainers (not really rivets just push in pins) Originally I was going to use some cap screws because I thought it would look a little more industrial but once I used the plastic retainers they kind of disappear.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

That's it huh... One reply... How can I hang with the cool kids?

Not that I'm unappreciative for that reply but it was on the RC caps that are steel... Didn't really answer my question.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, has no one else done this? I just purchased some of these and would much prefer to not install these rivets and just go with some sort of industrial glue. Any suggestions, other than some good 'ol Elmers? Wouldn't it be nice, no rivets and maybe some nice bedliner??? Someone has done this.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by davefisher
So, has no one else done this? I just purchased some of these and would much prefer to not install these rivets and just go with some sort of industrial glue. Any suggestions, other than some good 'ol Elmers? Wouldn't it be nice, no rivets and maybe some nice bedliner??? Someone has done this.
You may laugh, but I held a plastic bumper cap on my Dakota with crazy glue. Off road regularly.

Quick Reply: VDP Endcap Mod...Mod???