Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vacuum Assist Relocation: 2012 JKU

Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Assist Relocation: 2012 JKU

This week, I finally completed a Winch install. Doing so required relocation of the Vacuum Assist pump which is located inside the front bumper. A few kits have emerged to accomplish this goal, however many of them are quite complicated, and also expensive. For those looking to locate a winch inside the bumper (hidden install), these kits may be necessary. For an on-bumper install -- like the one I did using the Rugged Ridge XHD system -- such kits are not necessary. Here's a how-to on the solution we worked up.

First, the vacuum assist in it's factory position:

Click image for larger version

Name:	JKUVacuumAssist.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	359545

As you can see in this photo, it is mounted on a bracket welded to the inside of the frame member. It is attached to the bracket by threaded studs which are contact welded upwards through the bracket. This leaves the vacuum assist too high for most aftermarket bumper applications. To address the height issue, we simply moved the part down, using the same bracket with some simple modifications.

First we cut off the threaded posts:

Name:	photobucket-12424-1346037873597.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	359546

We then drilled out the remainder to leave a hole for a new bolt:

Name:	photobucket-7749-1346037860800.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	359547

Finally, we put a 3" bolt down through the new hole, added a 3/4" stand-off (piece of small pipe!), and put the part back on. To retard any corrosion problems, we coated the bolt with gasket sealer, as well as painted the cut and drilled area with primer before install. Finally, to ensure a firm, rattle-free mount, we reversed the factory grommets and added a washer. Finally, we made sure the set up left the part at least 1/4" above the bottom frame cross member.

Here's the finished result:

Name:	2012JKUvacuumassistrelocation.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	359552

The net cost of this mod was about $1 in bolts, nuts and sealant and it took much less than an hour to complete. One added benefit of this change is now the part and it's connections can be reached and removed if necessary without removing the bumper. (If you have the ability, it's best to tack weld the top of the new bolt to the bracket so that it won't spin if you have to remove and reinstall the part.)

I've not seen this solution proposed elsewhere, so wanted to share my results. I hope this post helps someone else facing the same situation.

Last edited by Rubi Driver; 08-28-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, am I really the only guy to have faced this issue?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going to be facing this issue soon as I just ordered new bumpers. WInch coming soon after. The bumper comes with a relocation kit. It was only $20 more I think. SOmething tells me more people will stat looking at this tread as they start to swap out their bumpers.

PS - Youre solution is brilliantly simple. Im just not sure it wil work for all bumpers.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the post with pictures, I like to see someone "make" something for their project instead of always spending money because it's the easy way out!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just cut it off and plugged the hoses. Problem solved.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offcamber
Too funny. Has that caused any lights to show up on the Dash?
Old 09-08-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by offcamber
Well, that certainly takes less time.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Assist Relocation: 2012 JKU