Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Using stock fog light wiring for KC's w/ new XRC front bumper??

Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vulcan classic
Depending on the current draw of your lights you may have CANBUS issues if you wire them direct. I recommend an interposing relay wired to your fog light connector and then run the relay contacts between your battery (fused) and lighting
You wouldn't have a wiring diagram would you? Or maybe please add a quick sketch or stick figure drawing for us less tech savvy DIYers...
Old 03-13-2014, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm doing the same have a 12"led light bar and want to connect it to my stock fog wiring. Where do we get these relays if we need em

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 03-14-2014, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same bumper same lights, but my passenger side keeps going out and I gotta unplug battery to reset it, then it'll go back out after five minutes -.- I'm kinda electrically challenged so any help/diagram is greatly appreciated. I was hoping to run it off the fog light switch but should I not??
Old 02-01-2015, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hella FF 75 fog lights to stock wiring

Rehashing an oldie, hopefully somebody can help me.

Just wired this up according to previous posts, but fogs aren't working. I want to use the stock fog light switch to turn the fogs on.

I wired the following:

1. From relay, fused (30a) wire to positive on battery
2. From relay, wire to chasis (ground)
3. From relay, single wire that splits into two wires, to connector on each fog light bulb, providing power to fog lights
4. From relay, single wire connecting to fog light stock wire (white/orange), acting as signal to relay. This is one of two wires that runs into stock fog light connector.
5. Stock fog light ground wire to chasis (ground). This is one of two wires that runs into stock fog light connector.
6. From fog light bulb, ground wire to chasis (X2, one for each fog light)

My questions:
1. I only need a single signal wire to the relay from one of the stock fog light connectors. What do I do with the other stock fog connector? Can I leave as is, electrical tape over the connector? If not, I know I can cut the connector and run the ground to the chasis. But what about the "hot" (white/orange) wire?
2. Can the blub ground wires be run to the stock fog light ground wires? Or just run all grounds to the chasis?
3. Each bulb has two connectors? Does it matter which is ground and which is power? Manual doesn't say. Nothing on the bulb.

What am I missing? Thanks for the help! Can't wait to get these working!

And what just happened with the game?!?!?!?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbellyfoo
Rehashing an oldie, hopefully somebody can help me.

Just wired this up according to previous posts, but fogs aren't working. I want to use the stock fog light switch to turn the fogs on.

I wired the following:

1. From relay, fused (30a) wire to positive on battery
2. From relay, wire to chasis (ground)
3. From relay, single wire that splits into two wires, to connector on each fog light bulb, providing power to fog lights
4. From relay, single wire connecting to fog light stock wire (white/orange), acting as signal to relay. This is one of two wires that runs into stock fog light connector.
5. Stock fog light ground wire to chasis (ground). This is one of two wires that runs into stock fog light connector.
6. From fog light bulb, ground wire to chasis (X2, one for each fog light)

My questions:
1. I only need a single signal wire to the relay from one of the stock fog light connectors. What do I do with the other stock fog connector? Can I leave as is, electrical tape over the connector? If not, I know I can cut the connector and run the ground to the chasis. But what about the "hot" (white/orange) wire?
2. Can the blub ground wires be run to the stock fog light ground wires? Or just run all grounds to the chasis?
3. Each bulb has two connectors? Does it matter which is ground and which is power? Manual doesn't say. Nothing on the bulb.

What am I missing? Thanks for the help! Can't wait to get these working!

And what just happened with the game?!?!?!?
Let me start by saying some guys have a flickering problem when using the fog (pwm) light wire directly or as a trigger for a relay as it is a CANBUS wire and pulses. I recommend you test it first before cutting into the factory harness by running a jumper from the fog light positive to pin 85.

You didn't mention what pins steps 2, 3, and 4 were connected to. They should be...
2: pin 86
3. pin 87
4. pin 85

For your questions:

1. You only need to tap one positive wire from the fog light and the other stock wires are not used. Taping them should be fine.
2. Run the lights ground wires to chassis or battery negative.
3. Yes, it does matter which is positive and which is negative.

You're replacing the switch with the fog light wire in this diagram.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm wondering if low current draw LED lights would cause a CANBUS issue ???

Anybody done this without issues ?
Old 02-12-2015, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsot
I'm wondering if low current draw LED lights would cause a CANBUS issue ???

Anybody done this without issues ?
Yes. Some guys have wired the lights directly to the stock connector without any issues. Some have had flickering.

Some guys have used the stock fog light wire to trigger a relay without issue. Some have had flickering.

The best advice I can give you is to use jumpers to test it before cutting anything. You most likely will be good as most seem to not have a problem. Do you feel lucky?
Old 07-21-2020, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default Flickering issue

I bought an adapter to plug the Apollo’s into my existing wiring so I could use the switch on the console. My lights flash on and off a few times then stay off. Why is this happening? Is there a fix?
Old 07-22-2020, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Your new lights LED? If so, this is likely the issue. The CAN Bus isn't seeing the electrical load it expects and so shuts the circuit down. Your choices are add a resistor (what size I don't know) to the circuit or use the OEM circuit to trigger a relay on a harness you have built to run the fog lamps.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
Your new lights LED? If so, this is likely the issue. The CAN Bus isn't seeing the electrical load it expects and so shuts the circuit down. Your choices are add a resistor (what size I don't know) to the circuit or use the OEM circuit to trigger a relay on a harness you have built to run the fog lamps.

I bought a 12v 6 ohm resistor at advance. It was the only thing I could find but it says it’s for LED signal lights. Will this be big enough

I am assuming the red
wore is the hot wire

Quick Reply: Using stock fog light wiring for KC's w/ new XRC front bumper??