Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Used Gears?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used Gears?

I have an opportunity to get some used 4.10's that only have a 1000 miles on them; are used gears ok or should I buy new? I've heard you should only by gears new, but I think I've seen some for sale on here before. I'm running 33's now with no immediate plans for upgrading, and the 3.21's are killing me...

thanks ahead of time for all the advice
Old 05-14-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump
Any thoughts ou there?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

You should be o.k. with them if the mileage is that low. Setting up used gears is sometimes problematic because of the wear pattern in the previous vehicle. It depends on who sets them up as much as anything.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue
You should be o.k. with them if the mileage is that low. Setting up used gears is sometimes problematic because of the wear pattern in the previous vehicle. It depends on who sets them up as much as anything.
ditto...........
Old 05-14-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok thanks. I'll check with some local 4wd shops and see what they think about setting them up.

Originally Posted by Blue
Old 05-14-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

i bought a set of 4.10's from ebay for $80. Just had to buy a shim kit and the install is easy. There are a lot of companies selling them for cheap that have only a hundred miles or so on them. Mine came.. .looked brand new. There are also a lot of the limited slip units out there for short money in the same condition.

Ohh.. side note. Just had the dealership do an oil change. they noticed some gear oil seeping around pinion seal. So they resealed the pinion. No one said a word about the different gears.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had used gears installed in my JK and zero problems. The guys at Randy's R&P told me that it was really common and they rarely saw any problems.

Quick Reply: Used Gears?