Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

"Use-by date" on used shocks?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Use-by date" on used shocks?

Hey guys, have a quick question regarding shocks. Recently picked up a set of used shocks (Rubi take-offs) from a member on my local forum; he only put about 3K miles on them before he pulled them off & installed a lift about 3 years ago & they look like new. I've had them sitting in my shed & intend to fit them to my 2-door Sport when my OEM shocks bite the dust (44K miles on them now & the ride is noticably harsher lately than it was).

So my question is (& please forgive me if it sounds dumb; engines & transmissions I know about, but suspensions are another matter): Once a set of shocks has had 3K or so onroad & offroad miles on them & are then mothballed, will they last as long in storage as a brand new set will on the shelf of an auto parts store, or has the slight use began internal "decay" of seals and fluids that will see them more prone to leaks & pressure loss after sitting around unused for a time?

So guess what I'm really asking if mileage alone (ie: repeated compressions & extensions) wears shocks out or if the process of them repeatedly heating up & cooling down has had an effect on the fluid & seals that will continue to degrade their performance and useful life when they are not used (kind of in the same way that an older vehicle that isn't driven often will usually suffer more fluid leaks and more component wear than one that is regularly driven due to seals bulging/drying out and components losing their lubricating film resulting in metal-on-metal contact).

Again, sorry if the above is a stupid question to those of you who know suspensions; was just wondering if I should expect a full service life out of shocks with 3K miles of use that have been sitting in a box for 3 years, or if they may be more prone to leaks and early failure when I start using them again.

Cheers!

Last edited by JKlad; 01-02-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good question. Seals do shrink from non-use, and not being bathed regularly in oil from motion. I think I'd just check the tubes for surface rust. If the rust knocks off with some WD40, I'd feel pretty good that they survived unscathed. If they do have rust, I'd research the best way to remove it, and preserve the all-important surface finish. I'm interested, because I have some shocks set aside too, and I don't want them to deteriorate. Let us know.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump...must be a mechanic or suspension tech out there that has an opinion.

Quick Reply: "Use-by date" on used shocks?