Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

urgent help needed

Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Did you take the star clip washers off the studs?
x3, I just had my 16" ProComp's mounted and we snipped those star clips off, they sit tight.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
There is a lot of discussion about "hub-centric" vs "lug-centric" wheels out there... honestly, I never saw the hub as being integral to keeping the wheel on your vehicle or centered (the lug nuts should do that -- make sure you tighten in a star pattern!), so I never gave it a second thought until I saw all this talk on the internets about it.

If I understand your question right, you have a little bit of space around the hub so it might wiggle a bit on the mounting surface if you didn't tighten anything down? I think you're fine. Again, just make sure you tighten down the lugs following a recommended procedure (I usually do the star pattern but not fully torqued while the wheel is in the air, drop the vehicle, then torque them down to about 90 ft-lb) I think I also have the space or wiggle room you refer to, and I've never had a problem at all.
This is exactly what I was referring to. The guy at the shop said this shouldnt be like this and if I hit a pothole all the stress is placed on the bolts and there is a danger in snapping. I dont know, made sense to me. Is there anything like a ring spacer of some sort that I can put on so the wheel doesnt have any play and go on tight?

Thanks to everyone else for the replies. I went and put the tires on anyway and she looks sharp! Its been raining buckets out and I will take some pics when it clears.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, so I found a ton of threads here on HUB and LUG CENTRIC. Wish I would have found this beforehand.

It seems there is not a clear consensus on the need to have ring adapters. With that said, I think I would feel a little more at ease with rings. I may be wrong but assuming you take a nasty pothole, all the stress from the impact is absorbed by the lug bolts right? If you have a ring that snugs the wheel, it should help distribute the impact.

If anyone can help with the correct size of ring to order I would appreciate it. Ive searched a ton here already this afternoon and cannot find any information on a size to order. I have the pro comp 8179's in a 16-inch wheel.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bubbad323
Okay, so I found a ton of threads here on HUB and LUG CENTRIC. Wish I would have found this beforehand.

It seems there is not a clear consensus on the need to have ring adapters. With that said, I think I would feel a little more at ease with rings. I may be wrong but assuming you take a nasty pothole, all the stress from the impact is absorbed by the lug bolts right? If you have a ring that snugs the wheel, it should help distribute the impact.

If anyone can help with the correct size of ring to order I would appreciate it. Ive searched a ton here already this afternoon and cannot find any information on a size to order. I have the pro comp 8179's in a 16-inch wheel.

Thanks.
When I was looking, I just googled "hub-centric rings" and found a site that tells what size you need by the vehicle and after market wheel
Old 04-12-2009, 03:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nangulator
When I was looking, I just googled "hub-centric rings" and found a site that tells what size you need by the vehicle and after market wheel
found a similar site but they dont have the pro comps listed. what site did you use?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bubbad323
found a similar site but they dont have the pro comps listed. what site did you use?
You'll have to measure the inside diameter of your wheel to determine the outside size of the hub centric ring. The JK hub is 71.5.

Quick Reply: urgent help needed