Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Uptravel with RK 2.5in X-factor Mid Arm lift

Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uptravel with RK 2.5in X-factor Mid Arm lift - Track bar hits differential

I've got the new front uppers and lowers, and the front track bar installed to the lengths given in the instructions. I don't have either of the springs on, but I have the passenger side shock on. The passenger side is fully drooped. I jack up the drivers side and the track bar contacts the differential when there is still ~4-6 inches between the stock bump stop pad and the top of the bump stop rubber.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140608-WA0007.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	558586

I can get a measurement for this distance after work tonight.

Name:	IMG-20140608-WA0008.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	558587

I thought that the tire would define the clearance, not the trackbar. I called RK, and they said that I need to put the shock on the drivers side and that it would limit the uptravel before the trackbar hits and that I should size my bump stop to prevent that from happening. However, I was expecting to put 2-3" of bump stop on and to prevent this from happening I would need more then 2-3" of bump stops. Communication with RK was further hindered over the phone because I didn't know the extended and compressed lengths of my fox shocks when I called them and they recommend bilstein 5100s. I would have bought those, but they were out of stock so I got the foxshocks for a 1.5 in - 3.5 in lift. I looked up the extended and compressed lengths:

Part number FOX980-24-887 specs are:
Front shocks
Extended 25.15 inch
Compressed 15.55 inch
9.6 inch travel 2-4 inch lift.

The generic recommended shock lengths from RK are:
Generic Front Shock
Recommendation with 2" bump stops - 16" Collapsed to 28" Extended

So since the compressed lengths are both very close to 16" the shock shouldn't matter right? Can someone help me sort this all out? This is the first lift kit I've installed and I want to make sure everything is clearanced properly for offroading.

BTW, my Jeep is a 2010 Wrangler Rubicon 2 door

Thanks,
Nate

Last edited by natenewz; 06-09-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what lengths did you set the control arms to? Also, what track bar are you running?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
what lengths did you set the control arms to?
2.5” Front Lower Control Arm Assembled Length = 23 1/8”
2.5” X Factor Front Upper Arm Assembled Length = 19 5/16”
Also, what track bar are you running?
It's the adjustable track bar that came with the 2.5" RK X-factor kit.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default Updated Measurement

I was able to adjust the track bar to make the bend go away from the differential a little bit more. To get it on with it like this, I have to apply a small amount of +z torque (right hand rule, z meaning towards the sky) to the frame track bar mount. With this updated adjustment, at the same conditions I can raise the drivers side of the axle so that there is 3" between the bump stop and the bump stop pad (metal to metal, not the rubber bushing that compresses). 3" is about what I was expecting to use for bumpstops. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by natenewz
2.5” Front Lower Control Arm Assembled Length = 23 1/8”
2.5” X Factor Front Upper Arm Assembled Length = 19 5/16”

It's the adjustable track bar that came with the 2.5" RK X-factor kit.
Your front uppers should be 18 3/4". Lowers are about right, but will need to be dialed in for caster. Guessing that fixing the uppers will fix the issue. With those arm lengths your caster is likely really low.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Junkie

I was able to adjust the track bar to make the bend go away from the differential a little bit more. To get it on with it like this, I have to apply a small amount of +z torque (right hand rule, z meaning towards the sky) to the frame track bar mount. With this updated adjustment, at the same conditions I can raise the drivers side of the axle so that there is 3" between the bump stop and the bump stop pad (metal to metal, not the rubber bushing that compresses). 3" is about what I was expecting to use for bumpstops. Does that sound reasonable?
Keep in mind that the stock white bump stop almost fully compresses down to about 1/2". The track bar should not contact the diff regardless of bump.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Your front uppers should be 18 3/4". Lowers are about right, but will need to be dialed in for caster. Guessing that fixing the uppers will fix the issue. With those arm lengths your caster is likely really low.
Okay thanks, I'll buy an angle finder and check the caster later tonight. Does the caster angle change depending on the axles vertical position, eg. do I need to put the tires and springs on and set it on the ground to check it? The adjustable lowers center the axle in the wheel well front to back, and the uppers set the caster?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Junkie

Okay thanks, I'll buy an angle finder and check the caster later tonight. Does the caster angle change depending on the axles vertical position, eg. do I need to put the tires and springs on and set it on the ground to check it? The adjustable lowers center the axle in the wheel well front to back, and the uppers set the caster?
Jeep needs to be fully assembled and on the ground under weight. Yes, caster changes based on vertical position (which is why it goes down as you lift a Jeep).

The front uppers should stay at the stock length (18 3/4") and the front lowers made longer to adjust the caster. With the way you have the arms set right now, you are pushing your axle forward (longer wheelbase). Given that the frame side track bar bracket is fixed, as you move the axle forward you are pushing it into the track bar. Putting the lift on should not impact track bar clearance, unless you push the axle too far forward (as you have done).

So, shorten uppers to 18 3/4, get the Jeep back on the road and then check caster. I highly recommend you go to a good alignment shop and get it aligned.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll love the lift, once you get it set up right! Mine rides great with the Bilstein 5100 long travels, and it flexes out great! The only issue I've had with mine so far was a worn out front track bar bushing after an all day mudding adventure. I carry a spare with me now. I'm running the RK drag link flip up front now, with the RF tie rod.

Name:	10338777_10152226930288371_1470214969540351014_n.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	558753Click image for larger version

Name:	10382830_10152234709433371_5721659207522510957_n.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	558754
Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jsukey
You'll love the lift, once you get it set up right! Mine rides great with the Bilstein 5100 long travels, and it flexes out great! The only issue I've had with mine so far was a worn out front track bar bushing after an all day mudding adventure. I carry a spare with me now. I'm running the RK drag link flip up front now, with the RF tie rod.
Attachment 558753Attachment 558754
Those are some pretty sweet pictures. Did you put limit straps on yours to make sure you don't bottom out the shocks?

Quick Reply: Uptravel with RK 2.5in X-factor Mid Arm lift