Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

upper door sliders?

Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper door sliders?

Hey guys, a newbie here. I was close to ordering/buying a new Rubicon when I find out that there are no aftermarket upper doors with glass/plastic sliding windows. They are available for non-JK wranglers, but not the JKs. I really want half doors but with the flexibility of a sliding window. I hope this is not going to be a deal breaker for me! Questions: Does anyone make upper doors with sliders? I suppose if they are not made yet, they never will be. What is the solution if I want half doors but also want uppers for cold weather/security?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

No one I know, but the need is there. I know someone has said they were going to be made, but they never were put into production.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I've never seen any for the JK.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Most use full doors. And have soft when needed. You will be happy with the full doors and buy some aftermarket soft doors for when you want that.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unlike the TJ's and CJ's which a large percentage were made in the factory half doors the JK had a very low percentage of customers opting for the half door option.

I called Bestop because I also wanted the sliders for my JK at which point they confirmed my theory as the reason that they would not put their upper sliders into production for the JK :(

As a rule, soft tops and doors usually have a 5 year service life if used year round in Canada as mine has. I'll be replacing my uppers and top with new OEM uppers for Mopar (through Quadratec), and the top with a TrekTop NX (through whoever can get it).

On my 07 JK, the top has started to tear in several places, the rear zipper is screwed and the vinyl window in the drivers side door cracked his last winter in the cold. So this is happening this summer.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

A Rubicon with half doors is super rare. I would jump on it. My 2 cents.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No upper door sliders yet. None of the big companies want to make them. Rampage has that thread on another site that is 2 years old. The spokesperson asked for people interested, and we gave it to him, but still nothing. Another reason why nothing Rampage will ever go on my rig.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vin
No upper door sliders yet. None of the big companies want to make them. Rampage has that thread on another site that is 2 years old. The spokesperson asked for people interested, and we gave it to him, but still nothing. Another reason why nothing Rampage will ever go on my rig.
I did a little "surfing" and ran across this site that shows a Rampage product that says it fits. Upper door half with sliding window, fits JK factory lower doors. Link to page.
Rampage doesn't show this part no. on their site ??
If really interested, you should call them and make sure before ordering.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

so are there skins or soft uppers that use zippers for the JK? zippers are not ideal, but better than nothing, but I can't figure out if even they are available for the jk.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gotcha
so are there skins or soft uppers that use zippers for the JK? zippers are not ideal, but better than nothing, but I can't figure out if even they are available for the jk.
The OEM uppers use zippers. Never had a problem with them until I tried to put the window down during the coldest night of the winter. :( splittsville. :(

Quick Reply: upper door sliders?