Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrading Wheels

Old 11-01-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Wheels

I want to upgrade my wheels on my JKU. I want to get Walker Evans with a 5 x 5.5 Bolt pattern and a proper centerbore to fit Prorock 60s. I know Spidertrax makes an adapter that will convert the JK 5x5 to a 5 x 5.5 My question is will buying the wheels now with the centerbore for a Prorock 60 cause problems with running it on wheel adapters? Does the JK need hubcentric wheels? Are they even hubcentric? Or am I just a noob?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elickzer
I want to upgrade my wheels on my JKU. I want to get Walker Evans with a 5 x 5.5 Bolt pattern and a proper centerbore to fit Prorock 60s. I know Spidertrax makes an adapter that will convert the JK 5x5 to a 5 x 5.5 My question is will buying the wheels now with the centerbore for a Prorock 60 cause problems with running it on wheel adapters? Does the JK need hubcentric wheels? Are they even hubcentric? Or am I just a noob?
The oem wheels are not hub centric.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Default I did it

I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. I purchased the Walker Evans wheels spec'd for the Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's with 5x5 1/2 lug pattern and 4 3/4 center hole (or maybe it was 4 1/4, I would have to look). I ran the spidertrax spacers to convert the 5x5 wheel studs to 5x5 1/2 so i could run the wheels on the Dana 44's. Zero problems because the spacers i bought were FOR THE JK. It is a simple thing to do. I think in my profile/albums there is a shot of the day I mounted the wheels and you can see the blue spacer in the center.

Last edited by GCM 2; 11-01-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GCM 2
I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. I purchased the Walker Evans wheels spec'd for the Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's with 5x5 1/2 lug pattern and 4 3/4 center hole (or maybe it was 4 1/4, I would have to look). I ran the spidertrax spacers to convert the 5x5 wheel studs to 5x5 1/2 so i could run the wheels on the Dana 44's. Zero problems because the spacers i bought were FOR THE JK. It is a simple thing to do. I think in my profile/albums there is a shot of the day I mounted the wheels and you can see the blue spacer in the center.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why would anyone upgrade to a d60 and keep a 5 lug pattern?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Because

Originally Posted by Harbourone
It is just a Dana 60, I'm running 40"s and I am pretty conservative with my right foot. I wanted to upgrade with the ability to run the most difficult trails with the most security for my style of driving. The 1 tons are stronger than a Dana 44 in every aspect, and the 5 lug is more than sufficient. Hell, it's plenty strong even with hemi level power and serious wheeling. Now if you are going to do very high horsepower, extreme rock crawling, tractor pulling, sand drags/mud drags or goose neck/fifth wheel trailer towing, well do an eight lug on a Corporate 14 bolt to be smart. My JK is going to have to move it's weight and what I carry in it, not tow loads which need a dually's setup.

Come on man, there is building something for what you need and then there is complete over kill. In 28 years of offroading, I have yet to break any of my D60's on that particular end of the axle shafts.

Last edited by GCM 2; 11-02-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harbourone
I have often wondered the same thing. To my surprise the 5 lug is plenty.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wheel spacers

Whats the deal with wheel spacers.. Im wondering if anyone has tryed any other than the spidertrax? I know I can get a set of 4 for a third of the cost of the spidertrax... anyone experienced with anything different out there?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ingramJK
Whats the deal with wheel spacers.. Im wondering if anyone has tryed any other than the spidertrax? I know I can get a set of 4 for a third of the cost of the spidertrax... anyone experienced with anything different out there?
you can also have surgeory in a third world country for cheaper.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, there are other quality manufacturers of spacers.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Wheels