Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrading/Updating my trucklite headlights

Old 09-12-2019, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Upgrading/Updating my trucklite headlights

I know there are a lot of headlight threads but was trying to see what compare to the trucklites. I’m thinking about moving my trucklite led headlights off my ‘13 JKU over to my ‘07 JK that I’m fixing up to hand down to my son (it was my late Dad’s). I like the more “white” light from them and wide beam that they cast. Have gotten to where I hate driving vehicles without that type of light from their head lights.

I have read a lot and watched a lot of videos and am having a hard time deciding. The options I have looked at are:

- JW Speaker J2 (maybe a quadratech set for lower price)

- Morimoto Super 7 (different look, from videos I like the color and low beam pattern)

- Another newer set of Truck Lites (put newer set in my '13 JKU and move older set to the '07 JK)(I've had no issues with these and seem to have done well)

- Vision X Vortex (I know Vision X makes good stuff. Don't know much about the lights, from individual reviews/comments that is)

- Maybe the KC Gravity Pro (expensive side and saw good and not so good review on beam patterns and color)

Thoughts on these specific options?

I know the JWs have a big following and seam to have a good reputation. From videos, just not sure on beam pattern/color for the price. I like a very white (no yellow) light. I may be wrong on what I see on video as I know the camera can play tricks sometimes.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I've never looked at that Morimoto Super 7. That's quite interesting.....probably a design people either love or hate just based on looks. Reminds me a little of the 3D printed design that @icrashbikes bikes made. I'm still sporting old JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2's (the pre-J2 model) and love em. Ole tried and true has treated me well for 6 years. I never did car much for the half-hao the J2's have, and the new J3s are getting a little too jazy and expensive. I don't think you can go wrong with that company, but I think the same with TruckLite in regards to performance. I'd not as big a fan on the TruckLite appearance, but that is just a matter of preference. Curious to see what you end up picking. Kinda hard to imagine any of those options being warmer yellow at all. Agree that pictures are tough to tell by, but almost all LED lights these days are that very cool white.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the Trucklite's they started to flicker all the time after 4 years, both failed with in 3 months of each other, I didnt know about those Morimoto Super 7's until now, never came up in my searches, looks like a very nice light, just came accorss this video, it compares the Trucklite, JW and Morimoto.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The Trucklite flicker is caused by the modules. I had one doing random flicker and after extensive wiring harness repair (that I had previously personally butchered) it still randomly flickered. I called up TL (Rigid industries) support and they said that it is usually not an issue of the headlight but rather those stupid modules. I bought another module from Amazon so I could replace it and the flicker stopped.

FWIW- the modules only have something like a 1yr warranty on them and despite everything being sealed in epoxy inside, they still recommend that you fasten it to something immobile.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deathtrap
I had the Trucklite's they started to flicker all the time after 4 years, both failed with in 3 months of each other, I didnt know about those Morimoto Super 7's until now, never came up in my searches, looks like a very nice light, just came accorss this video, it compares the Trucklite, JW and Morimoto. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C_jhgSByWs
If your Trucklites failed, what are you running now? Yea, the Morimoto Super 7 has an interesting look. Can't decide between the JWs J2s, Morimoto Super 7, and the Vision X Vortex. Had been leaning towards the Morimoto Super 7s then started looking at the Vision X a little more. Can't decide. I think the JWs are the "safer" bet, but just not 100% sold on them yet.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Seriously have been considering the Vision X Vortex, but they are pricey. Would new Trucklites be any better than their lights from about 4 or 5 years ago?
Old 10-12-2019, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MAG00
If your Trucklites failed, what are you running now? Yea, the Morimoto Super 7 has an interesting look. Can't decide between the JWs J2s, Morimoto Super 7, and the Vision X Vortex. Had been leaning towards the Morimoto Super 7s then started looking at the Vision X a little more. Can't decide. I think the JWs are the "safer" bet, but just not 100% sold on them yet.
Ended up putting the garbage OE lights back in, since then though I have traded in for an 18 jk with the factory LED option, but am looking at going to the JW's with the heated lens, have issues with icing and snow build-up where I live.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of TL flicker is from the connectors corroding... I was dealing with flickering for months until I decided to just cut off the wiring harness and soldier the wires directly. I have not had an issue since and its been at least 2 years...
Old 10-16-2019, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by texastraveler
Most of TL flicker is from the connectors corroding... I was dealing with flickering for months until I decided to just cut off the wiring harness and soldier the wires directly. I have not had an issue since and its been at least 2 years...
I had replaced the modules and eventually hard wired everything, the flicker got progressively worse, even hooked them up directly to a battery to make sure it wasn't the jeep harness issue, still flickered both high or low beam.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been pleased with my Trucklites thus far. They are about 5 year old now. Would a newer set be any better (considering how much LED lights have come along in the past 5 years)? Would put my current set on the older JK we are building up for my son.

Quick Reply: Upgrading/Updating my trucklite headlights