Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrading tires/used tires

Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading tires/used tires

New to the forum and not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not but I figured I'd throw my question out here since its about a modification.

Completely stock at the moment and I'm planning on a 2-2.5" lift down the road. Planning to run 33's. My question is how do you guys feel about used tires. Found 3 BFG M/T 2's on Craigslist wit 12000 miles on them and the guy wants $175. Since they're darn near $300 a tire I thought this might be a good deal. I could use one as a spare and buy 2 new ones to rotate and could wear them even after a while. Size is 285/70/17. Figured I could run them stock for a while and they'll still be fine when I get the lift. Not looking for extreme capability out of my jeep, just light trails and getting to campsites and fishing holes when I want. It's a more aggressive tire than I originally looked at but the price seems right.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be careful with used tires. uneven wear specifically. have not had good experiences with them. if they're not evenly worn they can cause a lot of shimmy shakes and death wobble characteristics
Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What he said and you'll also now have three tires a bit shorter than the 4th tire you will have to acquire separately unless you somehow manage to find a fourth that's used and worn about the same amount. Betting the stability control and traction control setups might have an issue with that.

I had a friend scored a set of 33" BFG AT's in used but decent shape for dirt cheap. Only problem was they were about half worn and only three tires. They sat in his shed forever before he finally sold them. Never found a BFG AT that matched well enough.

I will personally run used tires and have had good luck with it. However I've also had bad luck so I look over the tires closely and make sure ALL 4 are in good shape, similar wear, age, etc.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I put in new axle shafts + tubes, changed out the knuckles, welded reinforcement to all control arm brackets, burly tie rod... honestly it's easier to say... everything between the left tire and the right tire has either been upgraded or re-reinforced. But I did all that because my Jeep takes a pounding. I almost treat it like a horse now... pat it after a particularly harsh drive and say good jeep!

If a DD mostly, think you will be ok with a re-gear and grinding down some of the body. Tubes will make you sleep better. If you are going to spend a lot of time off road with tons of vibration, jerking, etc... will need more reinforcement.

Your white-knuckle time will also go up. 37s have a mind of their own. No more two fingers on steering wheel. Tight grip at all times.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

^^must have been digging through some old ones We all get caught from time to time.

Quick Reply: Upgrading tires/used tires