Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrading Tires

Old 04-26-2019, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Tires

Hey guys, I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Artic Edition and I want to upgrade my tires from 33's to 37's. Other than re-gearing what other things do I need to upgrade so things don't just start breaking?
Old 04-26-2019, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

It's quite a chore to get to 37s... take a look at this thread as it's current and has some great info.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...d-help-349200/
The following users liked this post:
Wandell (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed. 37's are a huge step. Fitting them on a JK is easy. Preventing them from breaking stuff is the expensive/hard part!
Old 04-26-2019, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
It's quite a chore to get to 37s... take a look at this thread as it's current and has some great info.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...d-help-349200/
Originally Posted by Wandell
Agreed. 37's are a huge step. Fitting them on a JK is easy. Preventing them from breaking stuff is the expensive/hard part!
Agreed and agreed. 37's are pretty much the wormhole from the perspective of upgrading stuff to not break. There will be people along shortly who will talk about their neighbor's brother's college roommate's cousin who put 37's on a Sport, didn't change gears, didn't do anything to the D30 axle, ran the Rubicon and then competed in King of Hammers and didn't break a sweat. All bullshit.

At a minimum, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Arctic has the D30 front and the non-Rubicon D44 in the rear, correct? Rather than dumping a ton of money to "beef up" the D30, I'd look at throwing a new set of 60's under it. I'd also find a Rubicon transfer case, or throw an Atlas twin stick in there. You're going to want something beyond the 2.72:1 ratio that you have currently. Rubicon is 4:1. There are people who run the Rubicon D44's with 37's and they'll run for a while depending on your driving finesse. Remember though, things don't typically break in the parking lot at the grocery store down the street from your house.

My buddy was just shopping for all the components to jump from 35's to 37's on his Rubicon while we were in Moab. By the time he did axles, and he talked to Currie and Dynatrac, suspension, wheels, tires, drivelines, and all the other goodies, he was north of $30K to do it right. Yes, there are shortcuts and things that can be done in steps, but you'll spend a bunch of time chasing the weakest link. Just Empty Every Pocket.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
Agreed and agreed. 37's are pretty much the wormhole from the perspective of upgrading stuff to not break. There will be people along shortly who will talk about their neighbor's brother's college roommate's cousin who put 37's on a Sport, didn't change gears, didn't do anything to the D30 axle, ran the Rubicon and then competed in King of Hammers and didn't break a sweat. All bullshit.

At a minimum, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Arctic has the D30 front and the non-Rubicon D44 in the rear, correct? Rather than dumping a ton of money to "beef up" the D30, I'd look at throwing a new set of 60's under it. I'd also find a Rubicon transfer case, or throw an Atlas twin stick in there. You're going to want something beyond the 2.72:1 ratio that you have currently. Rubicon is 4:1. There are people who run the Rubicon D44's with 37's and they'll run for a while depending on your driving finesse. Remember though, things don't typically break in the parking lot at the grocery store down the street from your house.

My buddy was just shopping for all the components to jump from 35's to 37's on his Rubicon while we were in Moab. By the time he did axles, and he talked to Currie and Dynatrac, suspension, wheels, tires, drivelines, and all the other goodies, he was north of $30K to do it right. Yes, there are shortcuts and things that can be done in steps, but you'll spend a bunch of time chasing the weakest link. Just Empty Every Pocket.
I agree with everything, I am planning on putting 40s and i have ALOT of work to do, but im building junk yard axles. I save some money and still get the "one ton" name but i am taking a few clearance and weight hits that you wouldn't get from Currie and Dynatrac. I still working on tracking down a rubicon transfer case as im not ready to drop the 3k for an Atlas. I mean theoretically you can bolt them up right now, but its not a question of if it will it break more of when will it break.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

37s - 40 are easy ....... Go to your bank, take a loan out on your home, drop off at reputable 4x4 shop, come back in a couple weeks, give money to 4x4 shop... Done....
Old 04-26-2019, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
I still working on tracking down a rubicon transfer case as im not ready to drop the 3k for an Atlas. I mean theoretically you can bolt them up right now, but its not a question of if it will it break more of when will it break.
I'm on 40's with a Rubicon case and just turned 70K miles driving back to Phoenix from Moab. In theory it's the weakest link in my setup, but, and I"m knocking on wood, thus far it's been great. My Jeep gets wheeled, and my buddy I bought it from probably wheeled it harder than I did, including running the Rubicon in it a few times.

Originally Posted by AZJKU2017
37s - 40 are easy ....... Go to your bank, take a loan out on your home, drop off at reputable 4x4 shop, come back in a couple weeks, give money to 4x4 shop... Done....
That's the spirit! Not far from the truth either. Pay once, cry once.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Tires