Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrading Suspension. Want practical and simple solution from those that know.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1.5" RK lift on my 09 JKU with hardtop and some armor. Nice ride with less than 2" actual lift.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for not replying earlier! I'm not always near a computer!

I appreciate all the advice. I have a much better idea of what i should be looking at. My understanding so far is:

1) I should probably avoid leveling / puck kits. This would have been so easy, but I was suspicious of such an 'easy' solution. Also, I would like to keep the rake for mileage and loading purposes. The last thing I want to to spend money and still have the ass end sagging.

2) I should look at OME springs and decide on the weight I will be adding (rack, gear, kids, and dogs) and buy the applicable weight of coils (L, M, or H). This will solve my sagging problem.

3) If i buy the right coils I should not get more than a 2" lift. This will give me the added bonuses of (hopefully) bumping me head less, but also a 2" lift or less will not require to many extra parts, corrections, or modifications. Thereby saving me money.

4) I may want to look at upgrading my shocks as well. As mentioned here (and I've actually seen mentioned elsewhere) a way to save money could be to go with Monroe reflex monotube shocks instead of the big name ones or the ones that come in premade packages.

So my plan going forward is to consider OME coils (Lights or mediums- I will email them and get their advice) and Monroe shocks. IF I go this rote what else do i need to insure everything keeps running smoothly and problem free. Control arm brackets were mentioned (thank you for the link). Is that it? Many of the shorter lift kits come with extended sway bar links- Do i need a pair of these as well?

I really want to maintain my Jeeps reliability. I do not want to introduce new problems by installing a lift improperly.

ps: RK 1.5 was mentioned? Rock Krawler I assume? I will look into this and see if it offers a better options that piecing together my own package.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Don't throw parts at it just because, get a handle on what the extra components actually do! Did you open Dirtmans thread? If you don't see it stuck to the top of this modified area, you should be able to find it stuck to the bottom of any of his posts...

For the caster correction, you might drive it with the new coils before deciding if you want to add control arms or brackets. Opinions vary, and at this point you don't actually know how much lift height you will end up with.

Swaybar links are cheap, plan on getting longer rear links and then moving the stock rears up front. (there are some variables involved here, like lift height and shock length and usage, but the rule of thumb is that you want to keep the swaybars roughly parallel to the frame)

Bumpstops will probably be wanted, the height will depend on the build and usage.

Extension brackets for the brakelines may also be wanted, depending.

Both axles will be off-center after the lift. The higher you go, the more they shift to one side. Will you care enough to want to correct it?

The roll center changes with lift height. Again, will you be high enough to want to correct it?

Angles on the front trackbar and draglink get steeper. Are you going tall enough for that to be a consideration? Same with the tcase joint on the front driveshaft (4door), or both driveshafts (2door). There is no specific height where you will or won't have an issue, (even if you see one posted!!), so familiarize yourself with the problems.

Yes, RK is rock krawler. Fairly popular lifts. As are teraflex, synergy, metal cloak, etc. Lots of options. Don't pick based on a single post, research it as much as you can before deciding.

Haven't read any reviews of Monroe shocks. While you are looking around, you might check out a few threads on the Rancho 9000. Might be a decent choice for a rig that will add and drop weight frequently.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A cheap spacer lift should be all you need. It is the ONLY way to ensure it is all the lift you will net. Any brand of lift springs will net you varying heights due to weight , etc. I used the the Daystar 1.75" lift.

A set of air bags for the rear will handle your temporary needs when loaded up, and then go back to "normal" when you are not loaded. They are cheap, simple to install, and easy to operate. Airlift and Firestone are some popular brands.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Damn
Sorry for not replying earlier! I'm not always near a computer!

I appreciate all the advice. I have a much better idea of what i should be looking at. My understanding so far is:

1) I should probably avoid leveling / puck kits. This would have been so easy, but I was suspicious of such an 'easy' solution. Also, I would like to keep the rake for mileage and loading purposes. The last thing I want to to spend money and still have the ass end sagging.

2) I should look at OME springs and decide on the weight I will be adding (rack, gear, kids, and dogs) and buy the applicable weight of coils (L, M, or H). This will solve my sagging problem.

3) If i buy the right coils I should not get more than a 2" lift. This will give me the added bonuses of (hopefully) bumping me head less, but also a 2" lift or less will not require to many extra parts, corrections, or modifications. Thereby saving me money.

4) I may want to look at upgrading my shocks as well. As mentioned here (and I've actually seen mentioned elsewhere) a way to save money could be to go with Monroe reflex monotube shocks instead of the big name ones or the ones that come in premade packages.

So my plan going forward is to consider OME coils (Lights or mediums- I will email them and get their advice) and Monroe shocks. IF I go this rote what else do i need to insure everything keeps running smoothly and problem free. Control arm brackets were mentioned (thank you for the link). Is that it? Many of the shorter lift kits come with extended sway bar links- Do i need a pair of these as well?

I really want to maintain my Jeeps reliability. I do not want to introduce new problems by installing a lift improperly.

ps: RK 1.5 was mentioned? Rock Krawler I assume? I will look into this and see if it offers a better options that piecing together my own package.
I have the teraflex leveling kit and I still have rake. you sit level if you do not install the rear spacers. I sit about 1" higher in the rear. Not as much rake as stock, but more rake than most "real" lift kits out there. I have run many many miles with this setup and never had an issue, and went everywhere! I have 179,000 on my jeep now and installed this system at 20,000. So that is 150,000 on my current system. I have added Monroe shocks and air bags for towing. But generally its the same springs etc.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Suspension. Want practical and simple solution from those that know.