Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrading stock Sport Shocks and Coils

Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading stock Sport Shocks and Coils

Ok. I need help and advice. Please don't flame as i have searched the forum and was not able to find the answer that i was looking for. There seems to be a lot of variations in the amount of lift and ride quality when upgrading the stock Sport shocks and coils.

Here's what i am working with. Thanks to another forum member (mgoony) i have set of Rubicon coils and shocks that are sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. This is an intimidating project for me as i am not a mechanic by trade. I do change my own oil and do my own tire rotations, and other basic maintenance but thats about it.

The coils on my Sport are 14 in the front and 56 in the rear. I have read through the "Lets solve the coil thread" and was able to gain some knowledge there. The Rubicon springs are 18 front and 59 rear. Based on what i have read i will get somewhere between .75' to 2.5' in lift . I think the average lift being 1.25'. For me this is not so much about the lift, but rather the ride. Compared to my 4 door Rubicon the ride in my 2 door Sport is mushy. My wife drove it the other night and the first thing she asked was "can you fix how mushy the suspension feels?". I said you see those coils and shocks sitting in the garage. Thats what those are for. Anyways, i have posted a list of questions below that i am hoping someone can help me with.
  1. Does anyone know of a step by step write up for this or should i just use one WOL writeups on Project JK

1. Are there any other parts that i will need or should consider upgrading while i am doing the swap? Like JKS quicker disconnects? This is going to be a DD and probably only taken off road 5% of the time.

1. Does anybody have any pics of their Jeep (car - there i needed to kill a kitten today) that shows the new coils and shocks insteaded with OWL Sport tires?

If you guys/gals can think of any additional information that i may need for this project please let me know. As usual, thanks in advance for your help.

-Jason
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just did this yesterday same set's of spring in my rubi 2dr 14/56 to 18/59 i thought at first i didn't need to change the rear cause it sits level but when i put the hard top back onit was a little soft in the rear .I spoke to one of the guys at teraflex and he said my shock and sway bar link will work but if i was to do some hard core wheel'en to get longer sway bar links.

So last night i switch out the rear already having done the front sunday and what a differance nice ride firm but smooth.

Lot guy's will tell you to loose up track bar and arms .I did not .I disconnected top front end shocks and sway bar at axle and brake line at the side of frame.For the rear bottom of shock and sway bar on axle and brake line on side of frame.I did each corner at one time.
I got lucky but if the jeep sqweek's or seem off loosen up all arms and track bar's while the jeep is on it own weight and then tighten up everything back up.

I'm going to add longer sway bar link front and back.

I do nt have pictures yet but will take some after work and post them i gain a lot of room at least 2 inches front with a winch on and 2 almost 3 in the rear.

Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-08-02.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	189575Click image for larger version

Name:	after2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	189576Click image for larger version

Name:	after 3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	189577

Last edited by JK RUBI REDROCK; 08-02-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Added some pictures above.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Thanks. How much of a pain was the swap? Is it a pretty straight forward change out?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is a TV episode on youtube that walks through all the steps.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper
Thanks. How much of a pain was the swap? Is it a pretty straight forward change out?
Jackstands to frame and jack under lower arms for the front .And jackstands to frame in front of rear wheel and jack under pumkin. 15 min a corner.

Quick Reply: Upgrading stock Sport Shocks and Coils