Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

upgrading driveshaft question

Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading driveshaft question

so im getting to the point of running out of upgrades for my jeep lol
just kidding, u can see in my signature what im running, im debating putting on the rest of the control arms(i only have front lowers) or replacing the drive shafts. just want opinions on what people have done and what companies they like them from. also the pluses to replacing all the control arms or just being fine with the front lowers and going long arm some day (far away) down the road)
thanks any input much appreciated
nick
Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

upgrading both front and rear drive shafts is a great idea. white the cv joints on the factory shafts are very strong and can operate relatively vibration free at greater operating angles, the shaft itself is weak and i have seen these twist and tear off. also, u-joints can be found just about anywhere and for cheap.

getting new control arms is a good thing to do as they will give you a lot more adjustment options and most aftermarket units are way beefier than the factory arms. also, most aftermarket arms have joints that will allow for a lot more bind free flex - this is a good thing. but, if you're on a budget, i would just get a set of rear upper arms as they would be needed in order to install a new rear drive shaft.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
upgrading both front and rear drive shafts is a great idea. white the cv joints on the factory shafts are very strong and can operate relatively vibration free at greater operating angles, the shaft itself is weak and i have seen these twist and tear off. also, u-joints can be found just about anywhere and for cheap.

getting new control arms is a good thing to do as they will give you a lot more adjustment options and most aftermarket units are way beefier than the factory arms. also, most aftermarket arms have joints that will allow for a lot more bind free flex - this is a good thing. but, if you're on a budget, i would just get a set of rear upper arms as they would be needed in order to install a new rear drive shaft.
thanks for the reply, now what about brands? tom woods? teraflex? j.e. reel? re? just see some bouncing around in price.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by jeepnick
thanks for the reply, now what about brands? tom woods? teraflex? j.e. reel? re? just see some bouncing around in price.
all i can tell you is that i have run both j.e. reel and coast and have been happy with both. i've also had the company who make the re shaft rebuild a couple of mine in the past and have been happy with their work too so, i can only assume that their shafts out of the box are good as well.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
how about ujoint size?
is this question for me or for jeepnick?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: upgrading driveshaft question

Originally Posted by wayoflife

is this question for me or for jeepnick?
For u, 2k2 and I were discussing. Earlier so I thought I'd start a thread see what everyone else thinks
Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

My JE Reel 1310's F&R have held up great, although with your set-up you might want to look into 1350's. I guess if you're looking for an either/or opinion I would spend the $500-1000 on the other arms before the driveshafts. If you haven't shredded the shafts by this point chances are you wont, or @ least you could be easy on the pedal until you had $ to buy new ones

Last edited by runit3; 04-22-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: upgrading driveshaft question

what if (hypothetically) nick bought some 39.5 iroks for trails use (all hypothetically of course, but they'd be a really good deal)

what size then
I hate u Ryan
But really they are a gooddeal, I have shafts for front and rear and gears sitting in my garage waiting for a rainy day, the 39.5( too much in my opinion) would be trail only
scratch that back to driveshafts don't need the tires

Last edited by jeepnick; 04-22-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Bad idea
Old 04-23-2010, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

fixed it for ya
bump, any body running aftermarket drive shafts?
Old 04-23-2010, 06:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

how about ujoint size?
i'm running 1310 on my orange JK with 35's and 1350's on my white one

Quick Reply: upgrading driveshaft question