Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrading axle shaft questions

Old 03-23-2014, 03:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading axle shaft questions

Here's my setup...

2012 and I have a d30/d44 - The front is sleeved and gusseted with no locker. My rear is stock with LSD. Regeared to 4:88

I am working my way to 37's and it seems that upgrading the axle shafts will be the last step unless I replace the whole axle?

Questions:
1) should I upgrade both the front and rear axle shafts, or would just upgrading the front (D30) be ok?

2) what do I buy??? Looking for the brand and setup suggestions. I see different spline counts. Various brands look different online with different setups and parts. It's pretty confusing.

3) if I want to add a front or rear locker in the future, will it affect my choice in axle shaft now?

4) how difficult is the install? Is it a one man job?

5) Would it make sense to do any other upgrades while doing the install? For instance, my biggest regret is not adding lockers when I did my gears...

Please feel free to add anything else that I may not be thinking of.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely do chromoly shafts with full circle clips up front.I think 30 spline is biggest you can go in the d30 being sleeved. I would just leave the rear shafts their pretty strong. As for lockers, many choices, probably best to have a shop do that.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Shafts are pretty easy to swap out, if doing 37's definiatly do cro moly rear shafts. The factory shafts snap right at the edge of the splines and are a pita to get the broken pieces out.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. Any suggestions on what product I should buy considering I have my front axle sleeved? I read a thread that said something to the tune of "anything 27 spline will fit with sleeves." Is this true?

What spline, what brand? 27 spline Nitro? 4wheel part usually has good deals on G2 stuff as well - any opinion on G2?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Stock d30 shafts are 27 spline inner, (with 32 spline outer). Upgrading to 35spline up front won't be an option, unless you have the thinner hammer in sleeves?

For the rear, you have 30 spline stock shafts, but there are several 35 spline options available.

If you get lockers in the future, the spline count on the locker will need to match the count on the shafts.

Ten Factory shafts will probably get the most votes for quality and warranty. G2 has the same warranty, with lower prices the last I checked.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Stock d30 shafts are 27 spline inner, (with 32 spline outer). Upgrading to 35spline up front won't be an option, unless you have the thinner hammer in sleeves? For the rear, you have 30 spline stock shafts, but there are several 35 spline options available. If you get lockers in the future, the spline count on the locker will need to match the count on the shafts. Ten Factory shafts will probably get the most votes for quality and warranty. G2 has the same warranty, with lower prices the last I checked.
I have teraflex sleeves and I do believe they were just hammered in. I had the shop install them at the same time when I took it in to have the gussets welded. Not sure if this will help anyone define the spline count I need?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The instructions for the teraflex sleeves indicate lots of holes and welding. I think Nitro sleeves are still the only hammer-in option? I guess you could contact teraflex and get their opinion.

Even if you can go to 35 spline, are you prepared for the cost? Somewhere around $1200 for 35sp RCV's. (And the last I heard, the 35sp rcv's are only 35 spline near the ends so that they can mate up with the the 35sp lockers, so not a huge strength increase overall.)

Just an opinion, but you might be better off just sticking with front 27sp shafts. Either chromo and keep your stockers as trail spares, or stay with your stock 27sp front shafts and grab a cheap set of used take-offs for trail spares.

Quick Reply: Upgrading axle shaft questions