Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

upgrading to 37"s some ???

Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno.... I guess that's why there is forums for all opinions and people to speak their mind.... so, here's my opinion.... Chromoly shafts are overkill if you don't wheel as intended (to go along with all of these other "mods" you are making...)

A chromoly shaft will not take the bulk of the damage if you're running a weak pinion or weak carrier - thus resulting in more damage in my opinion as supposed to a stock shaft twisting or breaking. Chromoly in the REAR if anything (which takes the most load) in my opinion, or run stock and have a spare handy if so worried.

Again, all these people and their comments on what "should" be done before the OP takes baby steps. See what it can do, go from there. It's especially funny coming from the people who don't even have these "mods" and are on here telling others to get them, lol. Made a similar post on another thread - I promise, I'm not some jerk - hahaha
Old 08-05-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
I dunno.... I guess that's why there is forums for all opinions and people to speak their mind.... so, here's my opinion.... Chromoly shafts are overkill if you don't wheel as intended (to go along with all of these other "mods" you are making...)

A chromoly shaft will not take the bulk of the damage if you're running a weak pinion or weak carrier - thus resulting in more damage in my opinion as supposed to a stock shaft twisting or breaking. Chromoly in the REAR if anything (which takes the most load) in my opinion, or run stock and have a spare handy if so worried.

Again, all these people and their comments on what "should" be done before the OP takes baby steps. See what it can do, go from there. It's especially funny coming from the people who don't even have these "mods" and are on here telling others to get them, lol. Made a similar post on another thread - I promise, I'm not some jerk - hahaha
in the rear the axle shafts arent the weak point the flanges are. Ive bent my flanges on 35s... i agree though no need for much of anything on pavement. Maybe bjs, but you see these threads all day or even similar ones where its a ton of people criticizing based of what theyve read, not experienced. Dont get me wrong some people do, but not most. Some threads dont even ask what to do they just say there getting 37s and everyone freaks out like what are you doing to run them, and asks if they know what they need.....Rant done i suppose...
Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
in the rear the axle shafts arent the weak point the flanges are. Ive bent my flanges on 35s... i agree though no need for much of anything on pavement. Maybe bjs, but you see these threads all day or even similar ones where its a ton of people criticizing based of what theyve read, not experienced. Dont get me wrong some people do, but not most. Some threads dont even ask what to do they just say there getting 37s and everyone freaks out like what are you doing to run them, and asks if they know what they need.....Rant done i suppose...
My point exactly - people are telling other people what to do merely based on what they READ on here, not on WHAT they wheel, or HOW they wheel - and the outcome, etc. "hey - get this Truss because that's what everyone has been talking about and saying to get lately" lol. Also, not that I'm picking a fight cause I'm not at all, but you can get off the trail with a bent flange - broken axle, different story

Hey - I can say I wheeled the Rubicon Trail with training wheels - just cause I said it on here doesn't mean it's true! lol. "they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true"

Last edited by FoxRacingJMC; 08-05-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Bah! Everyone MUST upgrade the front to at least a PR44/Terra44 (or bigger) just to be safe going over speed bumps at the mall!!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those 44s are the same strength as a trussed/sleeved and gusseted stock 44
Old 09-15-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

I'm going from 33's to either 35's or 37's, depending on how much extra I have to spend. Gears are already at the top of the list. I will drive this daily AND run trails several times a year. The Rubicon Trail is on my list of destinations next year.

Questions:
Are 5.38 gears doing OK in D44? I've heard there may be a higher failure rate for these.
Is the tire weight the main reason for the beefed up axles and gussets?
- what if I end up with a 37" that is similar in weight as some of the heavy 35's? (i.e. Nitto)
Even with re-gearing, am I still going to need more HP to turn the larger tires?
What other parts are likely to fail sooner with larger tires?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

For 37's regearing should be adequate......that's probably the biggest ur gonna wanna go with D44's.....

5.38 might be a bit to much gear however for a daily driver.....I'd say 5.13 would be max....4.88 if you have the new 3.6L

Quick Reply: upgrading to 37"s some ???