Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgraded JK Brake Lines??

Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded JK Brake Lines??

I learned a very valuable lesson this weekend: make certain your brake lines are not rubbing on your tires/wheels! I have a 2007 Unlimited JK with a 4.5 inch lift and apparently the extended brake lines were not mounted properly (or became loose) and were rubbing the tire/wheel to the point of causing the front right to spout a brake fluid geyser. Thankfully, the line failed at the end of the trail when we were airing back up.

Since I now have to replace the brake line, can I get some wisdom from those of you with much more experience:

1. Recommendations for upgraded lines - the strongest, toughest, best...?
2. Some guidance on reinstalling them in a manner to ensure that this does not happen again.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:24 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CALIJK
1. Recommendations for upgraded lines - the strongest, toughest, best...?
any stainless steel braided line will work well. northridge4x4 has some good ones by crown and teraflex

2. Some guidance on reinstalling them in a manner to ensure that this does not happen again.
try to make sure that you get a set that isn't too long and be mindful of the fact that a lot of brake lines have a connection at the caliper that is side specific. if you install these wrong, you could have a brake line that is pointing slightly toward the tire instead of away.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
any stainless steel braided line will work well. northridge4x4 has some good ones by crown and teraflex

try to make sure that you get a set that isn't too long and be mindful of the fact that a lot of brake lines have a connection at the caliper that is side specific. if you install these wrong, you could have a brake line that is pointing slightly toward the tire instead of away.
x2. i have the northridge ones, which say crown on them.
and like wol said there is a slight "cock" to where the line goes into the square block.
they need to be installed so there "cocked" to the inside, and the "bend" is pointing up.
u might also need to mess with the abs line also to get some more length out of it.
if u pull the line tighter where it runs by the ujoint u can get easily another 3 inches.
pull the line thorough the black rubber "mounts" around the knuckle to get this extra length.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Make sure you're not routing them around anything that is going to pull them off at full flex or stuff. I've seen a few guys pull their front line off when it got caught on a shock mount. Also, make sure they don't rest on anything while sitting at normal ride height.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder if this recall was a factor in your brake problems?

hxxp://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/06/chrysler-to-recall-about-600000-jeeps-minivans---/1
Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by trip0d199
I wonder if this recall was a factor in your brake problems?

hxxp://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/06/chrysler-to-recall-about-600000-jeeps-minivans---/1
no. the recall is to have your fender liner trimmed as it can damage the "hard" lines that are attached to your frame.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Thank you all - this is very helpful.

Quick Reply: Upgraded JK Brake Lines??