Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrade to d44

Old 09-20-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to d44

M in the works of a d44 housing coming in for an upgrade. Right now it's just a built up housing. I was planning on dropping the 4.56 gears and an arb. After calling north ridge for parts, Eric mentioned that there's an issue with putting in gears and an ARB because it's a rubi housing but he couldn't elaborate. Anyone know what he's talking about?

Also, will I have to change out my Front DS for the 30 spline or will it be as simple as swapping the yoke?

Any help is awesome.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The ARB used in the rubi housings is a 35spline version, and uses 35spline axle shafts. The stock rubi 30 spline shafts will not work.

I believe the OX locker for the front rubi housing uses 30spline shafts?

Are you talking about an aftermarket driveshaft and swapping the flange/yoke?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

So no ARB will work with the 30 spline? What about the RD117. Or is there another solution?

And yeah, aftermarket DS- Tom woods front DS for a JKU
Old 09-20-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I don't recall the specific numbers, but the 30spline ARB is used in the standard (non-rubicon) front d44's. Like with dynatracs prorock44 axles, they offer both the rubicon replacement version and a version for standard diffs. The rubi replacement would use either the factory locker -or- the 35spline arb, and the standard version would use the 30spline arb
Old 09-20-2014, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

In that case, I should be good either way, right? The RCVs that are coming with the axle are 30 spline. So 30 spline gears and locker should slip right in unless I'm missing something. This housing did have the factory locker though. ( scratching head)

I won't mind an ox locker as long as it's selectable. I know they're pretty similar in price.

Any idea on the DS? I'd love to just swap a yoke than buy another driveshaft.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I don't recall the specific numbers, but the 30spline ARB is used in the standard (non-rubicon) front d44's. Like with dynatracs prorock44 axles, they offer both the rubicon replacement version and a version for standard diffs. The rubi replacement would use either the factory locker -or- the 35spline arb, and the standard version would use the 30spline arb
Originally Posted by mattyk
So no ARB will work with the 30 spline? What about the RD117. Or is there another solution?

And yeah, aftermarket DS- Tom woods front DS for a JKU
In that case, I should be good either way, right? The RCVs that are coming with the axle are 30 spline. So 30 spline gears and locker should slip right in unless I'm missing something. This housing did have the factory locker though. ( scratching head)

I won't mind an ox locker as long as it's selectable. I know they're pretty similar in price.

Any idea on the DS? I'd love to just swap a yoke than buy another driveshaft.
Dana 44 Jeep JK Rubicon, 30 spline - OX USA Selectable locker for a rubicon 44
Gears aren't specific to the spline count of the axle shafts. If the shafts worked with the factory locker, they will work with an ox locker designed for a rubicon housing.
The drive shaft should bolt right up, as long as it's the proper length.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome! Thanks
Old 09-20-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

So if I understand this right, the original owner had a rubi axle, and used the stock factory locker, and had upgraded the axle shafts to 30spline rcv's?

Now you are buying it, but it is not coming with the factory locker, just the 30spline rcv's?

If that is correct, then no, you can not use an ARB since you would need the 35spline version, but you can use an OX, since I 'think' it uses 30spline shafts. (double check this just to make sure)

The OX is a selectable. It uses a cable for actuation (instead of electric for the factory locker or an air compressor for an ARB), but also has the option of adding either air or electric activation to it for an additional charge. I am not personally familiar with OX, but the reviews I see on here are pretty mixed, with some owners liking them, but a whole lot of people having trouble with them. Spend some time researching...

The flange/yoke is not an issue with the regear, use whatever came with the aftermarket shaft.

Lol, nevermind. I took too long and it was answered...
Old 09-20-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Correct. Just bought the housing and RCVs because I'm already set up for air lockers and he had different sized gears.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

Correct. Just bought the housing and RCVs because I'm already set up for air lockers and he had different sized gears.
If memory serves it's cause the rubi 44 is a new Gen 44 and uses a differ get set/carrier all together. I recall something about uses ring gear spacers to get other diff's to work but I could be wrong

Quick Reply: Upgrade to d44