Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrade to coils or keep coil spacers?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade to coils or keep coil spacers?

Hi all,
been doing some research and wanted to see if i could get some input. At the moment i have a rough country budget boost with 2.2 shocks and unlimited rubicon coils on a 2dr X. at the moment i am not loving the ride. I have a rear trackbar relocation bracket on but nothing up front but the stock trackbar. I was wondering if upgrading to some lift coils would help out the ride and give better performance. I am considering the rusty's 2in coils seeing as they net about 2.75 inches of lift. But i have always had my eyes on the ome coils. My question is whether i should even upgrade and also if i should go with the HD coils versus the MD. Are the OME coils really worth the extra $? and if i do go the HD route am i gonna need new trackbars? I dont want an outrageous amount of lift since i am sticking with my rubicon tires. any input would be greatly appreciated. LOVE all the JK"S here!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

What is your air pressure in your tires?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default tire pressure

I keep them at 37 psi like it says on the driverside door
Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

I run 32 in mine and the ride is alot smoother. I would try this fisrt if you don't want to spend the money. You can also try softer shocks.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Talking Thanks!

Thanks Ill give that a try. Any personall experiences with either sets of coils would be nice too. thanks!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I upgraded from a BB to the OME HD coils about a month ago. I am completley satisfied with what I got out of the coils. I personally felt like I was taking the cheap route by putting in the 2.5 spacers. Yeah I got the lifted look, but not the performance that I wanted. I went with the coils, and also added front and rear JKS trackbars to line me up. I went with the HD coils because I didn't want the added weight of steel bumpers to take away from my lift height. I think that it rides good. I didn't expect it to ride like a caddy, or ride like it was stock either.
Then for good measure, I went ahead and added a complete set of Currie Control Arms! They were on sale at Northridge, and I couldn't pass up a deal that good! I have my castor set to 6 degrees, and I am trackin straight down the road.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Talking reply

Thanks for the input guys. I lowered my psi to 32 for the ride home and that helped out more than i thought it would. Seemed that the bumps were softer. As far as adding control arms and adj trackbars, that is a little out of my price range at the moment but im sure once i have steady cashflow i will upgrade those components if necessary. If any one else wants to chime in about their setup please feel free!
Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dmbalzer
Thanks for the input guys. I lowered my psi to 32 for the ride home and that helped out more than i thought it would. Seemed that the bumps were softer. As far as adding control arms and adj trackbars, that is a little out of my price range at the moment but im sure once i have steady cashflow i will upgrade those components if necessary. If any one else wants to chime in about their setup please feel free!
Glad this worked out for you. You can put your tires at anything that you want, but you have to watch them as they don't get round. You can run lower than that but I would not run under 30 psi. If anyone else has any input please help him out.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I ran my 35"s on stock rims @ 28 - 30 psi. It makes a huge difference in ride quality and contact patch.

I've done some substantial rock crawling with the 2.5" bb and did not feel like I was sacrificing performance.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default cost is always an issue

Yeah i will admit that even a small BB leaves you with a highly capable jeep. For how capable my jeep is right now it outweighs upgrading. For now i think taht i can live with the ride taht is miles ahead of how my TJ rode with 4" and 33's. It is a jeep its not supposed to ride like a caddy.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to coils or keep coil spacers?