Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Updating my Lift, what company has the best Springs?

Old 05-24-2021, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Updating my Lift, what company has the best Springs?

Hi all.
So I have a 2013 4dr Rubi.
After I bought it off of lease, I installed a Warn 8Klb winch on winch plate (no heavy bumper), and when I needed tires went with smaller "35's" , they measure 34.4"x 12s.
Off road, flexing, rubbed a bunch.
So installed 1.75" of spacer lift front and rear.
Installed JKS adjustable front swaybar links.
JKS adjustable front sway bar.
JKS adjustable rear sway bar and axle side bracket for 2-2.5 lift.
Some bump stops.
Been great and enjoyed the ride of the stock springs.
BUT the front has lost most of it's lift, so back to a pretty good rake and not much front travel left with the bump stops installed.
I did like the ride of the stock coils and shocks, but the added weight did the fronts in.

Looking to replace the front springs as a min, willing to do both front and rear as a set.
As well as shocks (finally), they were limiting the down travel.

So for a nice ride (my bones are getting old) it's my daily driver and once a month or so I need to go thru NYC to get my job's HQ in NJ (I'm on LI).
tolerate the winch up front (no sag right after installed)
and the junk in the trunk (cargo in the rear for trail runs / recovery stuff,, tools , you know.)
Most of the junk stays in the back, don't care to keep taking it in and out.

I don't want to go over 2.5" of lift. getting old and the 1.75" I had was great with the 34.4s and easy in and out w/o climbing up for the wife and I.
And keeps me out of exhaust extensions and needing drive shafts ASAP.

Thinking a 2.5" from one of these, and with the weight I have now front and rear, might just settle at a nice 2"s of lift.
Teraflex? JKS spring set with Fox Shocks? QuadraTec (read a couple of posts people having good luck with their coils w/ fox shocks).
Someone else?

TIA

Last edited by 99tdr; 05-25-2021 at 05:20 AM. Reason: few miss-spells.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have Metalcloak and they have not sagged in years. Almost bullet proof. Love the dual rate. And I would look at some adjustable shocks. They get a ton of bad comments, but I go with an 8/10 for highway and to a 1/10 for off road. Stiff on the highways keep me nice and centered in my seat. Best of both worlds.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm also planning on Metalcloak springs whenever it is that I trade up. They make quality components
Old 05-25-2021, 05:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,650 Posts

I am 100% for Metalcloak as well, but note that their 2.5" springs are likely to give you move than that 2.5", and it sounds like you really don't want to go higher than that. I think your plan of going with a 2" lift might make sense, leaving a little wiggle room just in case you net an extra 1/2".
Old 05-25-2021, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Not to pile onto the MetalCloak bandwagon, but they do have both 2door and 4door coils. I have not seen any reports of measured height for this setup, but maybe the 2.5" 2door variety could be a good option on your 4door. Might be worth a few minutes on a call with them, anyway.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 424 Posts

My MC 2.5" springs with the Chev engine (all up tranny/engine +30lbs over V6) and winch gave me exactly 2.5". So with stocker you should lose the front end rake.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks All. Geez four for four for MC. I'll give them a ring. I've heard of them for their body armor, but they weren't on my radar for lift components to be honest.

resharp001, yea right at 1.75 it's easy in and out, and no real rubbing even when unlocking the front swaybar.
I sort of tried to calculate all of this out w/o going into an exhaust drop and new driveshafts, and/or shocks ASAP. Had a few other projects going on at the time, and needed new tires on the Rubi, and didn't want to commit to a full 2.5-3" lift $ considering all the other things like getting in and out easily and just getting enough of a lift and taller tire to stop hitting soo many things on the trails. I have the 4.10s in there, so any taller of a tire, and really want to re-gear. So the aim has been just a bit more/better than stock. keep it low as possible but more footprint/taller tire, and still a daily driver. These "small" 35's work well for snow/trail, keep the stock fenders, all with a minor lift.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Another vote for Metalcloak here. I've had my Game Changer lift for several years now and my springs have not sagged a bit.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Hope you'all had a great weekend!
Thanks for the input.
I've been on their site over the weekend in between cleaning out my garage and workshop and organizing.
So just need to have a discussion with them.

Others, please don't worry about piling on about MC if that's that case.
But would like to hear other inputs if they are out there.
I'd like to cry once.

TIA
Old 06-25-2021, 02:08 AM
JK Freak

MC 2.5" coils are definitely on the taller side. I'm running a soft top and no rear bumper with a 37" spare and had to add a 1" spacer to the front to have it sit level. Been running their coils for 6-7 years and it's still level with no noticeable sag.

The following users liked this post:
OffRdnVet (06-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Updating my Lift, what company has the best Springs?