Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Unusual loss of power, help!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual loss of power, help!

Drove the jk on 33's with 17" steelies and aside from taking off in first gear I noticed no major power loss. I put a 2.5" lift yesterday and this morning I'm driving it on the expressway, at 6th gear I'm noticing it has zero power. The tachometer dropped once I shifted into 6th but didn't accelerate at all, it maintained the same speed while mashing on the gas.
I tried again and got it to 70mph in 5th gear at 3k rpm. Mashing the gas I could barely keep it at 3k. What the heck is going on?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Assuming you have 3.21 gears which are barely adequate to turn the stock tires, the short answer is to regear. For now you will probably see it will do better just keeping it in 5th on the interstate.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Assuming you have 3.21 gears which are barely adequate to turn the stock tires, the short answer is to regear. For now you will probably see it will do better just keeping it in 5th on the interstate.
Thanks for the response, not sure what I have, it's on a 2013 jku
Old 06-24-2013, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's the lift. There is a bigger mass that has to push through the air because you made it taller. The fenders scoop the air and the air gets stuck under the jeep. The bigger wider tires also hurt you. Jeeps have the aerodynamics of a garage door.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

6th gear will be useless until you re gear

Quick Reply: Unusual loss of power, help!