Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Unlimited suspention on X

Old 04-14-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlimited suspention on X

OK. Question for you guys in the know- swag and wag from anybody. How would unlimited suspention behave on X ? Too stiff of ride? Any lift from suspending lighter vehicle? thanks- Joe
Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

unlimited suspension on a 2 door x? is that your question
Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default OOPS. I meant 4 door suspention on 2 door.

Been a long day. Looking to put 4 door Rubi suspention on 2 door X.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Well, some parts might not work at all, like drivetrain mods (You do not say what height, make, version, etc...or even WHY...?)

If it uses coils, the coils for the unlimited MIGHT give more lift if installed on a 2 dr....but, some of the coils are the same for both anyway....and, you can get what ever coils spring rate and height you want w/o having to order the "wrong" lift to get it.

If it uses coil spacers, the lift would be the thickness of the spacers.

Example about the coils and the "Wrong" lift...

If getting a 3" 4dr lift, gave your 2 dr a 4" lift, you'd STILL have a 4" lift, BUT, NONE of what you'd NEED for a 4" lift to work....because the kit was designed for a longer jeep that didn't NEED the extra parts....so, in the long run..

You'd be better off getting a lift MEANT for YOUR jeep.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think he means taking someone's STOCK 4-door rubicon coils (that they probably took off to replace with ones from a lift kit) and putting them on his 2-door "X" model. In theory the spring rate of the 4-door rubicon is greater than the 2-door x model's spring rate. It will give a slight bit of lift (I'm guessing in the neighborhood of .5" or so, and it will ride firmer (flex less). It may be a good alternative to a front end sag if you've got a nose-low look - or it might even be a good option for someone that put a winch bumper on to reduce the sag over the 'x' springs.

I haven't seen anywhere that the actual spring rates are documented.

I'd say go for the front springs and then pick up a budget boost kit if you're looking for a little lift cheap... the ones with shock extensions can be had for a little over $100 and will give 2-2.5" over stock.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

I just put in a RC 2.5 lift last night with Rubi Unlimited Springs. I got the 2.2 shocks with my lift.
The Rubi front springs were close to 2 inches longer than my stock ones. Those were a blast to put in.....9 levels of suck mixed with blood sweat and swearing. But I got them in.
I had about a 10 km drive home with them from my auto club. Feels a bit rougher, but that could also be the RC shocks.
I am getting about 3 inches of total lift now.

The rear springs were the same size as my stock one but probably stiffer.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To give you an idea, I put on the coils from an unlimited rubi on to my 2 dr RubyDoo and gained 1 inch of lift on the front and about 1.5 on the rear but the rake is going to be a problem.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkkat
To give you an idea, I put on the coils from an unlimited rubi on to my 2 dr RubyDoo and gained 1 inch of lift on the front and about 1.5 on the rear but the rake is going to be a problem.

Wow why did you get so much in the rear? On the 4 door springs i had the rears were the same size as my stock ones. On the RC 2.5 I have a 2.5 spacer up front and a 2 in the rear...mine is completely level....
Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless you do some heavy research, there's no real way to know. SOME of the Rubicons have the EXACT same springs as the X and Saharas. I've done a little research myself as I have a friend who works in the parts department at the dealer where I bought mine. You have to keep in mind, there are over 22 different part numbers on springs for these things....and ALL the main part numbers are the SAME. The difference is in the part number suffix like AA, or BB, or something kinda like that. It's not just a black and white question.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Unless you do some heavy research, there's no real way to know. SOME of the Rubicons have the EXACT same springs as the X and Saharas. I've done a little research myself as I have a friend who works in the parts department at the dealer where I bought mine. You have to keep in mind, there are over 22 different part numbers on springs for these things....and ALL the main part numbers are the SAME. The difference is in the part number suffix like AA, or BB, or something kinda like that. It's not just a black and white question.
Interesting....I just went and took a look at mine again...it might be a little higher up fron but that doesnt matter as I am about to add the winch and steel bumper....22 different eh? Jeesh.....there are only 6 models...I wonder why they came out with some many different springs....?

Quick Reply: Unlimited suspention on X