Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

"Unlimited" or "standard" ProRock 44

Old 12-31-2016, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

All you would need to do is raise the lower control arm mounts on the axle which would flattened them and give you a better ride like the correction brackets do. This also will increase your ground clearance under the axle mounts since they would not be hanging down so far. With the brackets you have loss of ground clearance at the frame.

If you have adjustable control arms I would either order the axle with raised lower mounts or no mounts and install your own.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
What the caster correcction axle has the pinion pointed up higher so it is more in line with the transfer case causing less bind in the driveshaft. The more in line your pinion and output flange on the transfer case the more droop you can get out the the suspension and you greatly reduce the chance you get vibrations from too much u-joint angle at the pinion.

You say you have room in the arms to dial in more caster on your standards axle but at the increase chance of vibrations and limited droop.

At 3 inches this is no brainer and really not to be mean anyone that tells you at 3" of lift not to run a caster corrected axle does not know what they talking about in terms of how the performance and geometry is affected.
With the higher pinion, does the stock driveshaft still fit? Should I invest in upper control arm mounts at the same time?

I do have plenty of room left in the lower controlarms. I'm at 4.6 caster so I need to do some drawings so I can visualize it.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you would need to do is raise the lower control arm mounts on the axle which would flattened them and give you a better ride like the correction brackets do. This also will increase your ground clearance under the axle mounts since they would not be hanging down so far. With the brackets you have loss of ground clearance at the frame. If you have adjustable control arms I would either order the axle with raised lower mounts or no mounts and install your own.
Now that is a great idea. Best of all worlds fix. Thank you. Are there lower bracket kits available. I can't remember seeing any?
Old 12-31-2016, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Yes the stock drive shaft will fit the with the unlimited housing. It will lost longer too and give you more clearance to the exhaust cross member. If you want to raise the upper control mount you can but is a bit more involved since you have to cut off the one cast into the housing and run a bridge over the differential so you have something to weld it to. Ideally you want the keep the upper and lower link separation 25% of the tire height. That number is not set in stone but I would try to not run less then 6" of separation when making these adjustments.

You can buy heavy duty lower control arm mounts from Ballistic, Ruff Stuff. Blue Torch Fab, Barnes 4x4, Genright, Branik, WFO, Artec, Synergy, just pick your company. I know ruff stuff and ballistic are running 20% off for New Years.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 12-31-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Now that is a great idea. Best of all worlds fix. Thank you. Are there lower bracket kits available. I can't remember seeing any?
Synergy Manufacturing 8012-14 Heavy Duty Front Lower Control Arm Mounts for 07-17 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK | Quadratec

Synergy has these.....they may require a little grinding to fit on the larger tube. RuffStuff also sells various mounts all day long.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Welding critical equipment is outside my wheelhouse but I think I've seen brackets at NR 4x4
Old 12-31-2016, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would use one that is designed like these. https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...e-link-bracket
Don't look for a JK specific bracket as they are made to hang down in the factory location and will need to be modified. Look for a bracket that will fit as close to your axle tube diameter as you can. They are also different widths of mounts so get the ones that match the factory width and 9/16" mounting bolt.

This bracket is cool as it includes a lower shock mount integrated into it. Raises the lower mount a couple inches kinda like what you get from running rear Evo rock stars.
https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...coilover-mount
Old 12-31-2016, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Here is a photo of my caster corrected axle at full droop (14" travel). See how the pinion and shaft are almost straight. A non corrected axle would have a big kink at the U-joint and likely be pointing down. You can see how high I run my lowers so I have nothing hanging down below the axle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	663798
Old 12-31-2016, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

I would use one that is designed like these. https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...e-link-bracket Don't look for a JK specific bracket as they are made to hang down in the factory location and will need to be modified. Look for a bracket that will fit as close to your axle tube diameter as you can. They are also different widths of mounts so get the ones that match the factory width and 9/16" mounting bolt. This bracket is cool as it includes a lower shock mount integrated into it. Raises the lower mount a couple inches kinda like what you get from running rear Evo rock stars. https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...coilover-mount
Would a normal shock mount to those?
Pretty cool.. I may do this.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Yes, the shock mounts are actually loose and you can mount them along the top of the control arm mount to fit any width of shock. Once you get there where you want simple weld them in place.
These are the ones that are adjustable. http://www.barnes4wd.com/Axle-Link-M...mbo_p_260.html
The Ballistic are a fixed width.

IF running RK arms you may have to modify them a bit because of the lack of adjustment (mainly not going shorter). As you rotate the mounts up you will need to shorten the arms.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 12-31-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: "Unlimited" or "standard" ProRock 44