Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Unlimited on 37's question

Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post on JK-Forum, and I'm kind of a newbie to the JK also, so I hope I don't screw it up.

Anyway, regarding the gussets for the C yokes on the front axles, I learned my lesson a couple of days ago: DEFINITELY reinforce those C's.

I have an '08 Rubicon Unlimited, running on new BF Goodrich 285/75/17 KM2's -- a little less than 35" -- and I spent about 40 minutes on Sunday on a very wet sandy road with lots of standing water and stumps, weaving through the pineywoods (a pipeline service road near Houston), and while I was very impressed with the JK's capability to keep going (I never got stuck), when I was finished (and covered in mud), I noticed that my steering wheel was upside down, although the Jeep still tracked straight with no wobble. I took it in to the dealership yesterday, and they told me I had a common problem with JK's with larger tires: a bent upper arm on the right C yoke (also a semi-stripped steering gear, but that's another story). They installed a new offset ball joint ($700 installed, ouch) which allowed them to re-align the wheel and re-set the steering, but now I'm concerned about the C's bending again. I've signed up for my first Jeep Jamboree in May (Palo Duro Canyon), and I don't want this happening out there.

Like you, I've done some research, and it seems that bent C's are very common. I'm ready to order some Off Road Evolution C gussets and maybe the sealed axle sleeves, or maybe some other manufacturer's equivalent parts, and get them welded on as soon as possible, once I find a shop in Houston to do it. I don't anticipate needing to change out the gears on my Jeep.

If anyone has any other recommendations or thoughts on the EVO gussets and sleeves, I'm all ears. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Junkie

That's a great first post!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm only going to be running 35s and will be installing the EVO C2s. Sent requests for welding quotes out today. I know the included instructions recommend removing the ball joints before welding.

Last edited by MTG; 02-07-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
That's a great first post!
Thanks, JPop (blush).
Old 02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MTG
I'm only going to be running 35s and will be installing the EVO C2s. Sent requests for welding quotes out today. I know the included instructions recommend removing the ball joints before welding.
Good luck! I'll be curious what kinds of quotes you get, since I'm in the process of doing the same thing here in Houston.

Quick Reply: Unlimited on 37's question