Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Universal shift knob adapter not fitting correctly

Old 02-19-2015, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal shift knob adapter not fitting correctly

Hi everyone,

I got a new shift knob and the Universal Custom Shift Knob Adapter and a new shift knob for my 6 speed. I am having trouble with the adapter, because the shift arm has that flat spot on it; when the adapter is tightened it won't center on the shift arm.

the things I have tired so far are Tried the longer set screws(Those were too long), turned each set screw the same amount of times
added black electrical tape to try and make it more round.

I am not a huge fan of the electrical tape idea because I don't really trust it to hold and I don't feel like Tape is a proper long term fix, (I am sort of a perfectionist and come from do it right the first time school of though)

I have noticed that some of the other adapters come with plastic collars and some are designed to cover more of the shift arm. Is this adapter just bad design for the jeep or is it missing pieces?

How is everyone getting these adapters to snug up and be center on the shift arm and the shift knob to be tight? I don't want it to come off while driving 70 down the highway.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I JB Welded mine to the shaft. Tightened the set screws and its been that way for 2 years.
Might have to stretch the shift boot over it when it comes time to replace the clutch.
Don't know if you can see it in the pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Accy's 308.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	597622

Quick Reply: Universal shift knob adapter not fitting correctly