Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Uneven tread wear

Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yrubuggin
Robsjeep- is the sound consistent with wheel speed?
I think.... I've almost lost my head several times sticking it out so far trying to pinpoint where the sound is coming from..... I've listened to see if it slows down as the jeep does and the tires slow down(rotating) and I think it does..... But not the same as when a stone is in the tread. Kinda gets quieter..., I don't know .... Baffled
Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow try and coast down a hill in neutral and see if the sound goes away. Another thing to do would be to put the Jeep on a lift and put it in gear off the ground and see if it still makes the noise.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yrubuggin
Tomorrow try and coast down a hill in neutral and see if the sound goes away. Another thing to do would be to put the Jeep on a lift and put it in gear off the ground and see if it still makes the noise.
K thanks.... I've done the nuetral thing(not down a hill) it still made that sound.... I'll have to find a shop somewhere to do the lift suggestion... I hope it's nothing major.... Thanks for the suggestions
Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

From what I can see in the picture it looks "normal". You can avoid this wear by rotating your tires frequently. I rotate mine every 3 thousand miles.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad shocks lead to cupping, this is a different condition that M/T type tires seem to suffer from. it is like every other lug is wore down a bit more
rotating them more often helps keep it to a minimum
cupping is more like this
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/whirring-sound
Old 07-22-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is called lack of rotation... Mud tires develop this much more easily than other styles of tread, because of the blocks, where as other treads overlap more in pattern from side to side and front to back the load of the vehicle is spread more evenly across the footprint. Ever seen wore down tractor tires? The leading edges of the lugs almost always wear down more quickly than the rest of the lugs. Normal AT tires can survive a long time on lack of rotation, but do it with mud tires and you've just 1/2ed the life of your tires. Get them re-balanced and rotated they will straighten out, but by the time they do, the fronts will be cupping again.

And the pattern shown on the site is consistent with shock wear, but the pattern your pictures show is extreme cupping for a mud tire. Been there seen that many many times. Best bet is to keep the next set rotated so they don't start cupping, once it starts, it's hard to correct. That is unless you have a hemi, then I'm pretty sure you already know how to correct the cupping with the skinny pedal and a piece of pavement!!

Last edited by TROUPP; 07-22-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pull your front trackbar and check your bolt holes in the brackets to see if they are wallowed out at all. I had the same issue with front tread wear. It will cause your front tires to woblle slightly. You wont even notice it unless you get bigger tires or you start getting death wobble.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TROUPP
That is called lack of rotation... Mud tires develop this much more easily than other styles of tread, because of the blocks, where as other treads overlap more in pattern from side to side and front to back the load of the vehicle is spread more evenly across the footprint. Ever seen wore down tractor tires? The leading edges of the lugs almost always wear down more quickly than the rest of the lugs. Normal AT tires can survive a long time on lack of rotation, but do it with mud tires and you've just 1/2ed the life of your tires. Get them re-balanced and rotated they will straighten out, but by the time they do, the fronts will be cupping again.

And the pattern shown on the site is consistent with shock wear, but the pattern your pictures show is extreme cupping for a mud tire. Been there seen that many many times. Best bet is to keep the next set rotated so they don't start cupping, once it starts, it's hard to correct. That is unless you have a hemi, then I'm pretty sure you already know how to correct the cupping with the skinny pedal and a piece of pavement!!
You might be spot-on. I've been driving sport compacts and muscle cars forever, and couldn't rotate because of the staggered tire sizes I usually had. I will rotate them to the back and do a tape-measure toe check and see if that helps. Im going to try and pick up some low-mileage Rubi shocks to see if that helps as well. I need to start new habits with my maintenance, and pay closer attention to signs like this. Thanks everyone.....
Old 07-22-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Happened to mine and a lot of others. Need tonrotate them mire often.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I saw in the picture has happened to every mud tire (on different trucks) I ever had if I get lazy and don't rotate them by at least 6k. They will chop eventually just from tight turns on pavement.

Just X them, they will be loud for a bit and then settle down.

Quick Reply: Uneven tread wear