Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Under Hood Light: Question about wiring

Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Under Hood Light: Question about wiring

Hi,

I've had this under hood light for a while:
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/96016.pdf

It's been working great until recently when the material holding the wires into the light melted and the wires slid out. I disconnected the whole assembly to repair it but once I went to put the wires back in the light I realized that I didn't remember which color went on which side. The second picture shows the area of concern with the wires installed after cleaning up the melted material but I'm not sure what the configuration was before.

Question #1. Do you suppose the wires are the same but just colored differently for identification? Do you think it matters which wire goes to which lead on the Jeep's battery or on the light? The light appears to work with the wires in any configuration but I don't know much about wires or wiring and I don't want to unknowingly be causing damage somehow.

Question #2. I want to secure the wires with a better material. I'm thinking JB Weld, Bondo, or plumber's putty. Should I be concerned about conductivity? Is there a better material?

I tried calling the company that made the light but all I get is a beeping sound all day and I'm not sure if it’s a busy signal or a disconnected line.

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an expert so take my reply as information only. I believe the light is just a resistive load so polarity will not affect operation. However beerae thar ground should go to the metal part that has threads gor screwing bulb so you cant touch them and get shocked installing. Hot wire should go to lityle prong down in the light receptscle making it harder to accidentslly touch it. Others?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OzzyPotter
Not an expert so take my reply as information only. I believe the light is just a resistive load so polarity will not affect operation. However beerae thar ground should go to the metal part that has threads gor screwing bulb so you cant touch them and get shocked installing. Hot wire should go to lityle prong down in the light receptscle making it harder to accidentslly touch it. Others?
Thanks for the response! I understand what you mean but this design doesn't have a bulb that threads in. The design uses a cylindrical bulb that clips in on both sides. The light is activated by raising the hood which causes a bearing in the light to fall into place and close the circuit.

Last edited by Scopedog; 08-30-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Under Hood Light: Question about wiring